Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable HDCP over HDMI/DVI on zotac ion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I installed XBMX Live onto my new zotac ion N230 setup and everything works great over VGA at 1080p. However, if I use HDMI or DVI, my TV will not display a signal and effectively gets a blank screen. I have a Samsung 1080p DLP that is almost 4 years old.

Now, my guess is this is a HDCP issue. The zotac ion supports HDCP over HDMI and DVI. My TV must not support HDCP, thus no signal over HDMI or DVI. I tried HDMI->HDMI and DVI->HDMI connections from the zotac.

Has anyone experinced this and knows of a workaround? I'd like to use HDMI if possible since I already use the VGA for something else.

This is the zotac I have:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-c-u...board.html
Hello,

I can ensure you that it is not a HDCP issue because there is no HDCP support on linux at the moment.

greets
djselbeck Wrote:I can ensure you that it is not a HDCP issue because there is no HDCP support on linux at the moment.

Just as a notary fun thing I've checked the status of HDCP on my samsung TV, and it indeed states that there has been a successful HDCP negotiation between my ASRock & the TV via HDMI. :-)

I could only guess it's an underlaying function in the gfx hardware itself.
djselbeck Wrote:Hello,

I can ensure you that it is not a HDCP issue because there is no HDCP support on linux at the moment.

greets
Sorry, but HDCP is in the HDMI chip hardware and is OS independent. DVI-D ports of graphics cards also has it and it is at the graphics card level, handled at layers and in places the OS never even "sees".

However, OS resets, and power resets, etc., can cause 'downstream' devices to 'lose' their HDCP handshake with the source device. In some cases, both devices will fail to 'hook up' (or re-hook up)and leave the system with only a handful of low resolution array choices.

One should always check the discussion forums of the hardware makers that made their motherboard (for integrated graphics)and graphics card, etc.

My Revo with a GPU next to the CPU does blu ray over a USB drive and decodes it and pumps it back out at full resolution and sound without a glitch. I upgraded it to 4GB RAM and a 7200rpm HD, which *does* make a difference.

My other HTPC is a Zotac ITX H55 with an i5 670(?) that has integrated Intel graphics on the cpu.

Both of these hook up at full 1080p resolution. Both also drop out after certain user actions as well. Both recover when I cycle the downstream device, be it the A/V Receiver or the TV itself.

This comes from slight mismatches in "compliance" by different makers of consumer electronic devices that are capable of displaying high resolution protected intellectual property. This can cause an accepted connection to be dropped, or even refused, or get "locked down" to a lower resolution.

The idea was to keep folks from trying to swipe hi res signals right out of the connecting cables. Little did they know we just "rip" it right out of the media itself, and nobody opens up digital HDMI cables trying to grab signals, nor would they had they not done all this stupid HDCP crap.

But it DOES indeed exist, and IS almost always the problem with ANY display resolution that qualifies as HD, which is 720 and up. Not because you are watching protected media, but because you might, and you might want to hack your cable while you are doing it.

It has to have been the dumbest move they ever made, since it costs hardware makers more to implement, and we pay via higher product prices, because they pass it on to us.

It has nothing to do with Linux. It is, by law, not accessible to the user.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwi...Protection
rectifyer Wrote:I installed XBMX Live onto my new zotac ion N230 setup and everything works great over VGA at 1080p. However, if I use HDMI or DVI, my TV will not display a signal and effectively gets a blank screen. I have a Samsung 1080p DLP that is almost 4 years old.

Now, my guess is this is a HDCP issue. The zotac ion supports HDCP over HDMI and DVI. My TV must not support HDCP, thus no signal over HDMI or DVI. I tried HDMI->HDMI and DVI->HDMI connections from the zotac.

Has anyone experinced this and knows of a workaround? I'd like to use HDMI if possible since I already use the VGA for something else.

This is the zotac I have:
http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-ionitx-c-u...board.html
Check the MOBO BIOS for any HDMI settings, and also be sure to max out whatever video memory setting it will have too. There is also a "video repost" setting or the like that you should turn on.
HDCP only applies if you trying to play encrypted content over the digital connections, these days I never seen any such problems, if you using decoding software to decrypt this content before its sent over the machine and received by TV then you dont have a problem. However it seems your expecting a pixie to do some magic and all is well.

I have never experienced any issues with any of this gfx drivers being cinstalled properly and cables being connected ok. Say if your using linux and wanna watch a blueray use makemkv or a dvd dvdcss is already part of XBMC.

I vote either bad cables 1%, faulty ports 1% or user error 98%. HDCP cannot be disabled only circumvented.

ALSO if your using a Projector then idk ( you mention a samsung DLP those are projectors) depends on which model... again same thing applies.

I think strong possibility of being 98% user error.

Next step is to learn how to use encrypted content rippers... dvdfab is one amongs a sea full of them.

P.S. I think I have just wasted a post trying to explain that water has 3 states, solid, gaseous and liquid.
X3lectric Wrote:HDCP only applies if you trying to play encrypted content over the digital connections, these days I never seen any such problems, if you using decoding software to decrypt this content before its sent over the machine and received by TV then you dont have a problem. However it seems your expecting a pixie to do some magic and all is well.

I have never experienced any issues with any of this gfx drivers being cinstalled properly and cables being connected ok. Say if your using linux and wanna watch a blueray use makemkv or a dvd dvdcss is already part of XBMC.

I vote either bad cables 1%, faulty ports 1% or user error 98%. HDCP cannot be disabled only circumvented.

ALSO if your using a Projector then idk ( you mention a samsung DLP those are projectors) depends on which model... again same thing applies.

I think strong possibility of being 98% user error.

Next step is to learn how to use encrypted content rippers... dvdfab is one amongs a sea full of them.

P.S. I think I have just wasted a post trying to explain that water has 3 states, solid, gaseous and liquid.
HDCP handshaking occurs upon the application of power and has nothing to do with any content or operating system at that time.

HDCP applies at the hardware level regardless of the content. HDCP compliant devices get interconnected, and the connection handshake results in acceptance or denial, long before ANY content goes anywhere.

Resolutions can be handcuffed either during the hardware handshake, or later, during the playback of protected content. The problems folks are describing here are 100% of the hardware handshake level variety, even if software triggers can be used to fix it. And no, it does not require a $100 'Monster' HDMI cable to make it work.

P.S. I think you should refrain from the snide remarks until such time as when you are actually correct in your assertions.
rectifyer, you have most likely an xorg problem, probably related to the EDID data

for this we need you to C&P your xorg.conf
XBMCDood Wrote:HDCP handshaking occurs upon the application of power and has nothing to do with any content or operating system at that time.
P.S. I think you should refrain from the snide remarks until such time as when you are actually correct in your assertions.

I read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwi...Protection before I posted and its likely it is user error since, years of experience never been an issue, unless user a part of the problem.

The original posted wants to disable it (as per topic tittle) unless a pixie comes along this xmas, I doubt it.

I pointed to solutions, which is more then I can say, from your post which only explains how it works, not even pointing to any solution.

For someone who bants about snide remarks your post also has some.... Smile So I presume you are the licence holder for sarcasm and snide remarks.

And My assertions that it is user error, well, I guess we'll see.

P.S. SOrry to original poster but I havent slept in two days due to the level of pain I been in, so I apologise for any inconvinience though I hope I offered some working solutions.
X3lectric Wrote:I read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwi...Protection before I posted and its likely it is user error since, years of experience never been an issue, unless user a part of the problem.

The original posted wants to disable it (as per topic tittle) unless a pixie comes along this xmas, I doubt it.

I pointed to solutions, which is more then I can say, from your post which only explains how it works, not even pointing to any solution.

For someone who bants about snide remarks your post also has some.... Smile So I presume you are the licence holder for sarcasm and snide remarks.

And My assertions that it is user error, well, I guess we'll see.

P.S. SOrry to original poster but I havent slept in two days due to the level of pain I been in, so I apologise for any inconvinience though I hope I offered some working solutions.
You are incorrect. I never made any such remarks. You cannot foist your inter-communication misgivings onto others.
My suggestions were for making it work properly, not for trying to by-pass it, which is yet another wrong method of "solution". Your logic about your "years of experience" with it are flawed as well. Your "experience" does not ever trump what the industry incorporates as standards. You also claimed something about "HDCP not even in Linux yet...", which further proves that your "experience" lacks substance. Video cards have been HDCP compliant for more than 6 years now, and it has nothing to do with ANY OS on ANY computer.

I didn't "bant about" a snide remark, I CALLED YOU on it, and you need to understand that, not respond like some "its all good" gang boy criminal, accusing your accuser of YOUR crime. Oh and no, you cannot blame everything on "your pain". When your actions are wrong, they are wrong. Stop making excuses for them. Take note right now that I do not appreciate being accused of something I did not do, particularly when it comes from someone that IS doing it. Adding a smiley changes nothing.Stare You also apparently have reading issues as well, since I did provide solutions as I have a similar product. I notice that you made no mention of BIOS setting whatsoever. I get the feeling that you do NOT have any such similar hardware, which would beg the question as to why you would even respond. Oh yeah... it must be your vast experience... right.
XBMCDood Wrote:You are incorrect. *snip You also claimed something about "HDCP not even in Linux yet...", which further proves that your "experience" lacks substance. Video cards have been HDCP compliant for more than 6 years now, and it has nothing to do with ANY OS on ANY computer.

*snip You also apparently have reading issues as well, since I did provide solutions as I have a similar product. I notice that you made no mention of BIOS setting whatsoever. I get the feeling that you do NOT have any such similar hardware, which would beg the question as to why you would even respond. Oh yeah... it must be your vast experience... right.

I apologise for being wrong... I never say hdcp was not in Linux, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=420448&postcount=2 it was someone else.

please stop this nonsense now. Im not the only one with reading problems... Its public knowledge I am ill and as it happens I havent slept for two days, so I am sorry if I posted less the accurate info.

My signature is prove of my experience....

I beg of you to stop this assault.
guys, this is NOT helpful
X3lectric Wrote:*snip*

I beg of you to stop this assault.

You need to stop accusing people of attacking you. All I did was tell you about your remark. YOUR remark *was* an attack, and you do NOT get to turn that around onto the person that called you on it. So, it is you that needs to stop, and get back to the forum, instead of acting like some undeserving maimed duck, when it was you that shot yourself in the foot.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:rectifyer, you have most likely an xorg problem, probably related to the EDID data

for this we need you to C&P your xorg.conf

Wow, old thread brought up again Smile Thanks for the help, but I'm all good with HDMI now and have been for a while now. I have no idea what the fix was for me before, I think it ended up being a driver issue or xorg config like you said.
even if I really like being right, why the hell did you bring up this thread XBMCdood?
Pages: 1 2