Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] HOW-TO get multi-channel HD sound output working over NVIDIA HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
alanwww1 Wrote:Hey guys !

Be aware that this guide was tested only on Jaunty. On Karmic there are some different things needs update.

I wasn't following this guide - I've just got the same issue with restarting/suspending.

And right now it's seems for me its just xbmc bug - with beta1 still not working, but after downgrade to alpha1 it's OK again. Nothing else was touched, just xbmc packages.
qnox Wrote:I wasn't following this guide - I've just got the same issue with restarting/suspending.

And right now it's seems for me its just xbmc bug - with beta1 still not working, but after downgrade to alpha1 it's OK again. Nothing else was touched, just xbmc packages.

Do you have some samba shares IN UBUNTU ?
This case there is a known Ubuntu bug for restart, shutdown.
alanwww1 Wrote:PART 2: SETTING UP THE SYSTEM THE ALSA WAY

To tell the system to actually use this as a default digital output leaving the predefined hdmi device alsa definition. I created a custom HDA-Intel conf file for alsa. With this file we achieve that all ubuntu playback applications (including xbmc-tested, vlc-tested) will use default,hdmi,surround51,surround50 etc. vitrual devices as remapped channel configurations directed to your hdmi output without mixing.

Code:
sudo cp /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf_backup
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/pastebin.php?dl=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf
sudo dos2unix /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

Hi

Thanks for the hlep on this, I was why you modify /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf, why is it you can't set up the default with /etc/asound.conf ?

Alex
alanwww1 Wrote:Do you have some samba shares IN UBUNTU ?
This case there is a known Ubuntu bug for restart, shutdown.

I don't think its this as I can "sudo reboot" and "sudo shutdown -h -P now" just fine. Also the power button on PC and Ctrl-Alt-Del works just fine.

I will reinstall xbmc alpha 2 again and check if its defiantly alsa that's causing it. If it is then maybe a big warning is needed at beginning of post.

Oh yea also this is all on a Asrock ION330HT
Keyzer Suze Wrote:Hi

Thanks for the hlep on this, I was why you modify /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf, why is it you can't set up the default with /etc/asound.conf ?

Alex

I know i had a good reason for this, it was simply not behaving the same way if i did it in an asound.conf. I don't remember what the difference really was.
Abnormal1 Wrote:Has anyone had trouble with shutdown after updating to the new alsa on xbmc live alpha 2.

It appears that after I update the alsa version with this guide xbmc will not shutdown, reboot or suspend. Also in System settings Shutdown function has a value of ?0? instead of shutdown after alsa upgrade.

Im thinking that it could be caused by alsa upgrade re-compiling the kernel so is there a way to undo the alsa upgrade and restore the kernel to the original alpha 2 version.

Thanks
Neil

I just did a complete fresh install of xbmc alpha 2 on my Asrock ION330HT.

After the install, shutdown, restart etc all worked fine. I then installed the latest alsa using the modified script (Did nothing else to the system except follow this guide), rebooted and all shutdown functions stopped working and the value in the system settings for Shutdown Function changed to ?0?.

I will next attempt to install the latest Alsa manually using a guide for Karmic and see what happens.
alanwww1 Wrote:On Karmic there are some different things needs update.

not much for alsa
i have followed your guide and the only problem is alsa-driver (din't see sound card), but after manual recompilation sound worked fine
After following this guide i now have no audio for anything that is not in HD. No audio for my music (mp3's) or navigation sounds also nothing for my avi files. These worked fine before so I am not sure exactly whats wrong. Any help would be great. I went the ALSA route and that was what I was using before but mine was upgraded following this guide.
Phantisy Wrote:After following this guide i now have no audio for anything that is not in HD. No audio for my music (mp3's) or navigation sounds also nothing for my avi files. These worked fine before so I am not sure exactly whats wrong. Any help would be great. I went the ALSA route and that was what I was using before but mine was upgraded following this guide.

I need way more information than that to help.
HW, SW, Output of Alsa etc.
alanwww1 Wrote:I need way more information than that to help.
HW, SW, Output of Alsa etc.

Not sure how to get everything you need. I am running Ubuntu Jaunty minimal install. If there is anything else you need please let me know and how to obtain that information. Also let me correct what I said before. Just my MP3's have no sound. All my movies are working fine from what I have tested.
Code:
xbmc-9.11 beta1-jaunty2

Code:
cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  185.18.31  Tue Jul 28 15:43:22 PDT 2009
GCC version:  gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

Code:
cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.21.
Compiled on Nov 23 2009 for kernel 2.6.28-15-generic (SMP).

Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1

Code:
lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SMBus (rev a1)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.3 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Co-Processor (rev a2)
00:01.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev a1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev a1)
00:06.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] IDE (rev a1)
00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] High Definition Audio (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Bridge (rev a1)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (non-AHCI mode) (rev a2)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:12.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] PCI Express Bridge (rev a1)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 8300 (rev a2)
Phantisy Wrote:Not sure how to get everything you need. I am running Ubuntu Jaunty minimal install. If there is anything else you need please let me know and how to obtain that information. Also let me correct what I said before. Just my MP3's have no sound. All my movies are working fine from what I have tested.

That's pretty strange as a lot of movies use the very same mp3 codec as your music files.

You could check if 48k or 44.1k sampling rate is the problem. You need to run this in an x-terminal, or by running xbmc and while on the display, ssh the machine from another one

Code:
speaker-test -Dhw:0,3 -r48000 -c2
and
speaker-test -Dhw:0,3 -r44100 -c2
alanwww1 Wrote:That's pretty strange as a lot of movies use the very same mp3 codec as your music files.

You could check if 48k or 44.1k sampling rate is the problem. You need to run this in an x-terminal, or by running xbmc and while on the display, ssh the machine from another one

Code:
speaker-test -Dhw:0,3 -r48000 -c2
and
speaker-test -Dhw:0,3 -r44100 -c2

I guess i dont know how to do this correctly. I get the message
Code:
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
when i try either of those commands. My htpc auto boots into xbmc on startup.
Phantisy Wrote:My htpc auto boots into xbmc on startup.
this is your problem
Phantisy Wrote:I guess i dont know how to do this correctly. I get the message
Code:
Playback open error: -16,Device or resource busy
when i try either of those commands. My htpc auto boots into xbmc on startup.

Sorry in your case xbmc uses alsa this why you can not rub speaker test. Just quit xbmc than.

Code:
mv .xsession .xsession_bak
startx

than try speakertest
Kali Wrote:this is your problem

Can't be the problem. It worked fine before i found this guide and upgraded my alsa from an older version. Unless your saying that is why the sound test wont work?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30