Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: xorg.conf & aspect ratio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi

I've got an Asrock ION 330 plugged with HDMI in a Toshiba Regza 32C3001P.
I've installed XBMC Live and I've troubles with aspect ratio : on the very first boot it was perfect, then I rebooted and thumbnails, banners, fanart and even metadata from videos are flattened, video aspect ratio is also wrong and I need to force the 16/9 stretch mode to have a full screen video with correct ratio (no matter what skin is used, I've tested rapier, mediastream, PM3.HD, it's all the same)

I've done that : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54685 and that's from this how-to I generated the Modeline below.

Here is my xorg.conf : http://pastebin.com/f62f62ebf
XBMC 9.04.3+svn23842-jaunty1 Ubuntu 2.6.28-15-generic with Nvidia 185.18.14-0ubuntu1

And here is my TV specs :
Toshiba Regza 32C3001P
1366 x 768 32" TFT IPS
HDMI : 480p / 576p / 720p / 1080i / 1080p (50Hz, 60Hz)
HDMI PC mode (I don't know what this mode exactly is) : 1080i @ 50/60 Hz, 1080p @ 50/60 Hz, 720p @ 50/60 Hz

My problem is it won't survive a reboot and aspect ratio will be wrong again...
Anyone got an idea to fix this ? It drives me crazy, I'm spending hours to get aspect ratio working again to watch a movie and I can't let the Asrock running forever without reboot... Confused
Try this worked for me. The Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native" is what really did it for me.

Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
    Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Thanks for helping

I've tried it and it worked fine the first time, didn't survive a reboot neither :/
Make sure you set the root password. In the command line Type in this command:
Code:
sudo passwd root
this will prompt you to change the root password so pick
Code:
xbmc
as the password. Then use winscp login as root password xbmc and edit xorg.
I'm not a perfect noob, I use linux for many years now and I know how to edit xorg.conf...

I did some research and I've found this : http://kristian-hermansen.blogspot.com/2...rking.html

I've tried and for now it seems to work, it survived a reboot
Now I'm crossing my fingers Wink
too bad, it's not working again... Sad

every time i change to a resolution that i didn't tried aspect ratio is fine but once i reboot it's wrong again and switch to a previous resolution doesn't solve the problem (currently i'm using 1024x768 since i've already used 1360x768 both 60/50Hz and 1280x720 both 60/50Hz too)
albator1932 Wrote:too bad, it's not working again... Sad

every time i change to a resolution that i didn't tried aspect ratio is fine but once i reboot it's wrong again and switch to a previous resolution doesn't solve the problem (currently i'm using 1024x768 since i've already used 1360x768 both 60/50Hz and 1280x720 both 60/50Hz too)

does it always go to the same broken resolution? if so, maybe your tv is sending bad EDID information. i see that the "NoEdidModes" option in your xorg.conf but have you tried "IgnoreEdid"?
i'm gonna try that, we'll see Smile
Are u sure that your custom modeline is ok? On hdtv usually end with +... +... not -... +.... . Put xorg in debug mode and see if it validate your modeline. btw why u use a lower res instead of native display resolution?

If u use:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
usually u don't need a custom modeline (except mine tv Tongue).
The modeline in my xorg.conf is based on what i've seen in the debug log of xorg, here it is : http://pastebin.com/m1147aefa
miked2024 Wrote:does it always go to the same broken resolution? if so, maybe your tv is sending bad EDID information. i see that the "NoEdidModes" option in your xorg.conf but have you tried "IgnoreEdid"?

Same problem with "NoEdidModes" No
Here is my actual xorg.conf :

Code:
Section "Monitor"
[INDENT]Identifier     "Monitor0"
VendorName     "Unknown"
ModelName      "Unknown"
HorizSync       15.0 - 68.0
VertRefresh     23.0 - 61.0
Option         "DPMS"[/INDENT]
EndSection

Section "Device"
[INDENT]Identifier     "Device0"
Driver         "nvidia"
VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"[/INDENT]
EndSection

Section "Screen"
[INDENT]Identifier     "Screen0"
Device         "Device0"
Monitor        "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth    24
Option         "NoLogo" "True"
Option         "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
SubSection     "Display"
[INDENT]Depth       24[/INDENT]
EndSubSection[/INDENT]
EndSection

XBMC starts in [email protected] on first start, then I rebooted twice and still have [email protected] so I switched off and switched on again and [email protected] again Big Grin

I don't know why 25Hz refresh rate but whatever, aspect ratio is clean and durable that's what matters Nod
I was wrong, i've turned it on tonight to watch a movie and [email protected] was broken... I've switched to [email protected] to get correct aspect ratio but I'm sure I will have to switch to [email protected] next time...

Same problem again, still no solution Sad
albator1932 Wrote:I was wrong, i've turned it on tonight to watch a movie and [email protected] was broken... I've switched to [email protected] to get correct aspect ratio but I'm sure I will have to switch to [email protected] next time...

Same problem again, still no solution Sad

it looks like your modeline disappeared from the xorg.conf you posted originally to the one you posted above:

Code:
Modeline       "[email protected]" 74.48 1280 1336 1472 1664 720 721 724 746 -hsync +vsync

if 1920x1080 is correct, why was your modeline 1280x720?
because i've tried many modeline with different resolutions in order to find the one that is working, but without success

i've deleted xorg.conf and generated again with nvidia-xconfig, it seems to work, now i won't turn it off and i'm praying for it to not reboot either
Pages: 1 2