Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Preventing user from not using Library Mode?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried searching for this, but it appears search skills may be lacking.Blush

I have kid movies interspersed with non-kid movies on various hard drives. I want to be able to create a version of XMBC that my kids can use without having to physically move all of the kid movies into its own directory within Windows.

It seems that I can remove specific movies from the Library Mode, but if I de-select Library Mode, I can see all of the movies from my source which includes the movies that I don't want my kids to see.

Is there any way to prevent a user from de-selecting Library Mode once it's set? I tried setting up a user profile, but all the settings I've can't prevent that. Is there an easier way to accomplish this without having to modify my source (i.e. moving kid movies into one folder in Windows)?

Thanks,
jawgee
Hi,

1) Check the profiles, I haven't tried them yet but I believe it should be possible to add different sources, e.g. your 'kids' profile will not have the sources with adult movies. You can also disable 'add source' button in options, but i don't know if you can limit access to options menu via profiles.

2) edit skin to disable non-library mode, but i think it's a pain in the ...
Thanks for the reply. For #1, that's the thing that I don't want to do. I want to share the same sources for kid & non-kid movies since they are all in the same folders together.

I'd rather stay away from #2 if it is a PITA.

Thanks,
jawgee
jawgee Wrote:Thanks for the reply. For #1, that's the thing that I don't want to do. I want to share the same sources for kid & non-kid movies since they are all in the same folders together.

I'd rather stay away from #2 if it is a PITA.

Thanks,
jawgee

Another way is to get a usb flash drive, and put all your movies there. All you'll have to do is to insert it into your HTPC whenever you need them. Not the best solution, but atleast you'll be sure that your kids are safe from unwanted content.
what you want is only possible by separating the movies. why is that such a big problem?
spiff Wrote:what you want is only possible by separating the movies. why is that such a big problem?

Thanks for the confirmation. It's a big problem for me because we're talking about moving hundreds of movies around, probably moving 4+ terabytes worth of videos once I move the kids' movies to empty drives and then fill in the empty spots with the non-kid movies to reclaim the space from the kids' movies.

That's not something I want to do, especially coming from Meedio, I can accomplish what I want to do with a simple library filter.

Thanks,
jawgee
use junctions (use this program: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshell...llext.html ). Select all your kids movies and then right click pick source.

create a new folder somewhere: drop link as junctions.
should work just fine imo.
I need the samething... Not quite as many movies for me to go through.. But an idea solution would be a user lock.. Enter a password to access all content, else you are limited to movies rated Family only...
infy Wrote:use junctions (use this program: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshell...llext.html ). Select all your kids movies and then right click pick source.

Ooh, interesting - thanks! I was wondering if something like this existed. I'm going to try it out. You could be the Hero of the Month with your own free parking spot if this works!!Big Grin

Thanks,
jawgee
Bedpan Wrote:I need the samething... Not quite as many movies for me to go through.. But an idea solution would be a user lock.. Enter a password to access all content, else you are limited to movies rated Family only...

It seems like the User Profile feature would have worked for me, but it just couldn't lock out some of the menu items including Library Mode.

How is everyone else implementing multiple libraries with security?

Thanks,
jawgee
a profile with password, separate databases / sources and password protecting the sources.
infy Wrote:use junctions (use this program: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshell...llext.html ). Select all your kids movies and then right click pick source.

Alrighty, the junctions worked!! Big Grin Thank you very much for this information. I'm now able to only have kid movies show up under both the Library and file modes. It's still not the ideal way as I have to hunt and peck for the kids movie amongst my several hard drives, but it's progress.

I still have the problem of updating my movie Library within XBMC even though the file mode shows new movies that I added via junctions. When I switch over to Library Mode, those same movies will not show up even if I click on "Update library" or "Scan for new content".

Do I still have to individually right-click on each one of the new movies in file mode and choose "Movie information" in order for them to show up in Library Mode?

Thanks,
jawgee
If something isn't appearing in the library, thats most likely due to the Scraper not being able to determine what the movie actually is. You may have to rename them so the scraper can properly pick it up and add the data to the library.
joshuass Wrote:If something isn't appearing in the library, thats most likely due to the Scraper not being able to determine what the movie actually is. You may have to rename them so the scraper can properly pick it up and add the data to the library.

I'm not sure if that's quite the problem as XBMC will recognize the same movies that it "ignores" if I delete all video sources and start over. I guess that's what I'll do for a workaround to get the bulk of my movies into Library Mode and then just use the manual "Movie info" clicking for new movies that I add to my media server in the future.

Thanks,
jawgee