Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Digital out sound fails to initalize
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

wondering if someone can help with my issue. I have recently installed XBMC on to my computer. My computer is hooked through my Yamaha receiver by HDMI connection. I am using AEON SHOWTIME skin with build 22516 when playing movies I am only getting sound through Analog but when I change to digital I get a failed to initalize audio and no sound is played. Wondering if there is a setting I am supposed to be changing or if my problem goes deeper then this.

Thanks in advance
well I went to the hardware settings and chose Digital output, enable DTS and DD and disable downmix but still getting the failed to initalize audio error. Anybody have any suggestions for me. I have searched the forums inside out and cannot find a way to resolve my issue Please any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do you get audio through HDMI using other software?
Also, under "Settings -> System" enable debug traces and paste them so people who actually understands these things can look at it.
jjwalker Wrote:Hello,

wondering if someone can help with my issue. I have recently installed XBMC on to my computer. My computer is hooked through my Yamaha receiver by HDMI connection. I am using AEON SHOWTIME skin with build 22516 when playing movies I am only getting sound through Analog but when I change to digital I get a failed to initalize audio and no sound is played. Wondering if there is a setting I am supposed to be changing or if my problem goes deeper then this.

Thanks in advance

I guess you are dealing with Linux version right!? Do you start XBMC from X or does it start up automatically during boot? If this is the second case then I had exactly the same issue untill I added user xbmc to be member of "audio" group.

Regards
K.
If you're using linux do the following:

Enable downmix to stereo.

There is a ticket open to hopefully address this if the devs see fit:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/7404

A breif explanation in this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=421446

Also some troubleshooting tips in there as well.

A debug log will likely tell you exactly what the issue is. See the stickies, in the applicable support forum for your platform, as well as the wiki for details.
I may be stating the obvious here, but what do you have for your audio output device and passthrough output device?