Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu newb - connect in background?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, I'm total newb when it comes to linux, but I built an Ubuntu machine that I plan to use for a server doing multiple things, XBMC being one.

The machine is hooked up to my plasma, and running XBMC perfectly. I want it to always display XBMC, so the family never has to see the the backend stuff. But, I need a way to use it remotely from my mac. I need things like my bit torrent client to run all the time, and an easy way to access them. Since I'm newb, I want full gui, not command-line. How do I run a seperate session and remote into it in the background?
I'm not that in to linux but I followed this guide to install nx server. Then you can remote connect from your mac.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=204976
I think you will find much better support for this type of question on the Ubuntu Forums.
In your situation, I would be looking for a web based gui torrent client. I dont use one, but someone here might be able to tell you the best one (opinions)

Zepp
NX server is the way to go. You will get complete new gnome (or whatever you use) session visible only on your mac. You can run all programs there and then disconnect (do not terminate) from session. Next day you connect to existing session where all your programs are running (bit torrent client,webbrowser, etc...)
Just remember that your session uses same audio output so running a movie in it will actually use xbmc connected hardware (speakers)
Also if XBMC starts automatically in your system then nx session will start second one, however that should fail right away due to no support for hardware acceleration in nx session (at least this is how it works for me - which is good)
Quote:lso if XBMC starts automatically in your system then nx session will start second one,
Not with the xbmcbuntu setup. I have not checked any logs but I am pretty sure. You dont get the hardware acc dialog for sure.
This is PURELY speculation on my behalf. I don't know even close to enough about how Gnome and X works on linux to be certain.

It loads X+Gnome into TTY1
Which displays the Gnome desktop on whatever output is configured in the x-config files.

Maybe you can configure X so it displays that Window Manager on i.e. the Analog DIM output

Then on TTY2 it launches xbmc --standalone with instructions to X to show this on the HDMI output.

Again, this is purely speculation - someone who knows about configuring X could probably give more insight into this.

If this isn't possible, you can do what I do:
TTY1 loads XBMC without a Window Manager

You can then SSH to it from anywhere on the network and do other tasks and have them run when you log out using the "screen" tool.
Just use NX server and there is no problem to solve or speculate about.
Thanks guys, NX Server sounds like exactly what I need. I knew it was out there, I just didnt know what it was called.

Torrent webclients are great, but they never really give you ALL the features, and I do some complicated RSS stuff I needed to be able to get to.
pck1 Wrote:Thanks guys, NX Server sounds like exactly what I need. I knew it was out there, I just didnt know what it was called.

Torrent webclients are great, but they never really give you ALL the features, and I do some complicated RSS stuff I needed to be able to get to.
http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/