Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media not being recognized
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i am a totally newbie and i have had my modded xbox for 2 days now..i have a v1.6 with an aladdin chip and evolution x installed...not sure what version or if there are even different versions. anyhow..i have xboxmedia player installed on the dashboard...i have quite a few xvid movies and svcd and vcd movies that i have burned to cd-r ...when i throw the disc in the dvd drive on the xbox it trys reading the disc and then after about a minute, on the main dash screen where it says how much space are available in each drive it says no disc..when i first put the disc in its says something like init...i cant remember..anyhow..it finally says no disc and then obviously i cant open the disc to read my files in the media player...any suggestions..again im a newbie and this may easily rectified..not sure what version of the media player i am running either...maybe my problem is that i need this media center program...the wierd things is that my friend who has the exact same setup as me..when i throw the same discs in his xbox, it says unrecognized format and when he starts the media player he can at least see the disc and browse the files..and then he chooses an mpeg2 folder on the disc and the movie plays...im not sure if he has a different version or what..i can play dvd movies as when i put one of those in it reads video on the dashboard....i thought it could be a codec problem like can happen on the pc...but this isnt even recognizing the disc...can anyone help please!!!
heh to be honest i stoped reading after the second line.
well lots of info is good, but ... :p

ok i managed to read up to the third line after a little brake and saw you mentioned it won't read your cdr.
most xbox dvd drives can't read cdrs very well (comes with different brands and only the samsung drive can read most cdrs).

to check what drive is build into your xbox:
http://dday.tx-shells.net/philips_thomson_samsung.jpg
to the left: philips dvd-rom. in the middle: thomson dvd-rom. to the right: samsung dvd-rom

chances are your dvd rom drive cannot read cd's - either transfer them to dvd-r, buy xbox samsung drive (to tell what drive you have use this) or look into replacing your xbox dvd rom drive with a pc rom drive (cheapest option)

alternatively set up samba so that you can stream the files from your pc's dvd rom drive

i think you have much reading to do  :hmm:

damn you hullebulle you stole my thunder :d
thnx for repeating nimbles. :nuts:
j/k Smile
i stopped reading after the 2nd line as well. but then i thought i should help out one who has made so much effort but first i scrolled down and you 2 have answered so now i dont need to read it anymore.
thanks!