Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Filesystem for Linux / Windows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I currently installing my new HTPC as have a question regarding the filesystem.

My plan is as follows.

I will start with the XBMC live and will eventually over the next couple of weeks install ubuntu on a flash drive. The main reason for Linux is so XBMC runs at its best on the Nvidia gfx chipset.

Unfortunately i also have to install Windows (so i can use my blue-ray), but i also plan to use XBMC under this as well. Windows is on a 50GB partition leaving the rest of the 1.5TB drive free.

I want to use the remaining space for my media and access from Linux and Windows. So what is the best file system to use? I want to have full read / write access to this partition from both operating systems.

Thanks

Mark
The only options you have is fat32 & ntfs and fat32's limitation is maximum file size of 4GB.
If i were you I'll go with ntfs. But if you don't use larger files >4GB (which is impossible this days) the best option is fat32.
Yes i was thinking NTFS, i was not sure how well supported it is under Linux.

Thanks
I've had no problems with ntfs3g but I do know of some data loss occuring to people. I was just lucky I guess.
My data is backed up to an external drive, if you do something similar then go for it.