Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Platform Choices
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have watched XBMC from a distance for a while and I'm ready to make the jump. However, does it make difference what platform I choose to deploy on?

I am comfortable with All OS's. I am Linux Systems Administrator, whose desktop is a Mac, and runs Vista at home. I also have an extra old xbox laying around somewhere.

Is there one platform that is more supported then another?

Are the plugins platform dependant, or do they just need XBMC?

My main desire is to be able to play back x264 and mkv files. I know all of them will work with avi's

Thank you so much for your guidance and time!
Some of the OS related choices are depending on your HW imo.

I went for linux due to it having graphics accelerator possibilities since I have an Asrock ION box.

As for the plugins I'm not 100% certain they are platform dependant. I've got apple movie trailers, opensubtitles_osd running flawlessly on linux atleast.
Linux is definitely your best choice here, as long as you have an nvidia card which supports vdpau.
I run XBMC on Windows because I also use it for other purposes that require me to run Windows apps. If it weren't for this I'd use the Live version (installed on the disk) because it supports hardware acceleration and it turns the PC into a minimal maintenance "black box".

JR
Thanks for the insights!