Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Your opinion on the Aeon skin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all
I have tried out the Aeon skin a little bit. It looks great. I can imagine all the hard work behind it. However i have a few issues with it. Maybe it is my setup or am i not doing things right.

I am experiencing really lousy performance in aeon. Thing are slow animations are lagging. List view is horrible performance wise. It is really destroying the total experience.

How is it working on you system?

Another thing that i am having problems with is the limited functionally in file mode. I guess this skin is suppose to be used in library mode. Maybe i am doing things wrong but i find using a library a hassle.

I can understand the library thing if you are a hardcore collector. Adding things, polishing the meta data, adding you own comments, images etc.
But for a mainstream user who's library is constantly changing it is such a hassle using a library needing to constantly add/remove things.

Browsing the file system finding what i might want to watch and press I to get info and covers. What could be more simple.

Am i wrong? Please tell me you opinion?

/Johan
Performance issues have been covered before (see below) and you can't expect to get info about something if XBMC hasn't scraped that info first.

http://forum.xbmc.org/search.php?searchid=4494549
@Johan5556

Maybe your performance issues are based in a wrong driver of your graphics card? Let me guess, you have an ATI card?
Bob___ Wrote:@Johan5556

Maybe your performance issues are based in a wrong driver of your graphics card? Let me guess, you have an ATI card?

?

My last two video cards were nvidia cards and I bought an ATI 5850 at launch and have had no problems and find the drivers better. I actually got sick of nvidia consistently getting worse.
Hi Thanks for the replies.
I actually have both a ATI and Nvida setup. Everything else is running very smooth on both systems so i dont know about drivers.

Hitcher: I am not relly sure if i know what you mean.
I was describing the way i am using the system today. "Browsing the file system finding what i might want to watch and press I to get info and covers." And yes when you press I xbmc scrapes the info.

I am just saying i dont relly think people want keep a library up to date. You will always need to tri to keep it in sync with the file system. Insted of just using what you actually have on your drive. Because for most peope i think this change every week.

/Johan
I like Aeon, but I feel it has become too large, and it's impossible to get it just right, especially for noobs. I must have downloaded 10 different Aeon variations, and a lot of mods, and yet I can't get my set-up just right Sad I wish a skinner would figure out a way to make an "Ultimate Aeon" Skin, combining elements from all available mods and skins to create a crowd-pleasing skin. Maverick over at Plex has done a really nice job creating a skin like this (but it's for Plex!) - I wish there was one like that but specifically made for XBMC. He has integrated at least 6 views (or more) for Movies and TV Shows seamlessly, combining elements from all Aeon branches...

Anyways enough of that... for a normal user (as of now) I have settled on Mediastream Redux, because it's nice looking with cool features, and there isn't too much going on. Aeon is a skinners wet dream (lol) I just wish it was a little more organized.
Johan5556 Wrote:I am just saying i dont relly think people want keep a library up to date. You will always need to tri to keep it in sync with the file system. Insted of just using what you actually have on your drive. Because for most peope i think this change every week.

/Johan
Amongst xbmc users I'm pretty sure you're in the minority with that one.
johan5556 Wrote:hi all
am i wrong? Please tell me you opinion?

/johan
yes
Johan5556 Wrote:Am i wrong? Please tell me you opinion?

/Johan

Of course you are wrong Nod
Hi guys
Thanks for the replies. I am a bit curies. Why am I wrong? Can you tell me a bit more on the benefits of the library. How are you using it?

Lets say you have 3 different xbmc setups and a server where you store all media. Wouldn’t using a library involve keeping 3 different databases up to date instead of just browsing the file system on the server?
Advantages of Videos Library (quick list, others feel free to add more):

- faster browsing through use of database
- ability to get and display additional info/images (directors,actors,poster,fanart,trailers)

obviously the benefit and practicality of the library would be lower if your collection is "constantly changing".

However if by "constantly changing" you mean growing, then the benefits and practicality are quite high.

EDIT: In regards to your question about managing 3 databases, you should look into the option to export database to individual files.

It will add files to your collection something like (check wiki for exact information) :

/movies/Up/Up.avi
/movies/Up/movie.nfo
/movies/300/Up.tbn
/movies/300/fanart.jpg
Johan5556 Wrote:Hi guys
Thanks for the replies. I am a bit curies. Why am I wrong? Can you tell me a bit more on the benefits of the library. How are you using it?

Lets say you have 3 different xbmc setups and a server where you store all media. Wouldn’t using a library involve keeping 3 different databases up to date instead of just browsing the file system on the server?

I have one media center (on my Main TV) and a Xbox360 (in my bedroom) I have most of my data on the media center Pc
But also store a great deal on my server the way this all works you wouldn't even know the files are on different sources.
YES i had to put ALLOT of effort into getting it right and had allot of help from these forums.
YES I do have to put a little effort into getting it to look as good as it does.
I believe most people who have issues with this skin have not been following it from early on hence do not know how to get it working right
Its not a beginners skin but believe me with the newer mods its alLot easier now then its ever been.
Ive said this before If you don,t like the way it works and having to put a little effort in then stick to PM3.....
Johan5556 Wrote:Hi guys

If you are fine missing out on all the information the library provides, sure.
But what does this have to do with Aeon?
Johan5556 Wrote:I am just saying i dont relly think people want keep a library up to date. You will always need to tri to keep it in sync with the file system. Insted of just using what you actually have on your drive. Because for most peope i think this change every week.

I think this is where you are in the minority actually. Most people have fairly large libraries and while they may add to it over time it is not constantly changing locations or having lots of files added/removed.
The library provides you with an option to have a lot more information about the files on your system. That alone makes it worth using it, the fact that it also makes for a very pretty experience when using it makes it even more worth the time to fetch the data.

I have to agree though with one point of comment, if you have multiple systems you can not use a central DB that contains all data about the files. This is in my opinion the biggest issue in XBMC at the moment. I would love to make a lot more use of it but that would mean multiple systems and the only way I will ever do that is if I can have a central storage of both files (already in place) and DB.

But none of this is in anyway related to Aeon it is completely a XBMC core thing not a skin specific problem.

If your experience with the skin is that it is very slow, you might want to have a look at what graphics drivers you are using, if maybe you have other programs running eating up a lot of CPU time and or if your disk is not overly busy while browsing etc. Another much discussed solution would be to change the JPG files to BMP files which mean no need to do anything but dump the data read directly to the screen where with JPG it basically needs to unpack the data in the file and reconstruct the image which could cause a slower response if your machines are a little older or just busy with other stuff in the background.
Pages: 1 2