Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] 128MB RAM upgrade for the Xbox, is it of any benefits for XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
does having 128 megabytes of memory in your xbox make anything run better with xbmc?

does anything in xbmc utilise extra memory if its available to increase performance?

i've heared streaming video runs better, is this true?
does having 128 megabytes of memory in your xbox make anything run better with xbmc?

does anything in xbmc utilise extra memory if its available to increase performance?

i've heared streaming video runs better, is this true?
hi

i apolgize but for some reason (not intentional) but my thread seemed to show up here as well as a the thread i created....thanks for the answer "sigtom" as for the question you brought up...

"what exactly, besides a few clips from ms on thier website, do you plan on watching on the xbox that has that 720p resolution?"

i was going to use the xbox to upconvert normal video sources up to the 720p res i believe that xbmc can do this if presented with a normal video. thanks again for the answer!!
hi

i apolgize but for some reason (not intentional) but my thread seemed to show up here as well as a the thread i created....thanks for the answer "sigtom" as for the question you brought up...

"what exactly, besides a few clips from ms on thier website, do you plan on watching on the xbox that has that 720p resolution?"

i was going to use the xbox to upconvert normal video sources up to the 720p res i believe that xbmc can do this if presented with a normal video. thanks again for the answer!!
you answered it yourself.

Quote:"xbox only has a 733mhz intel pentium-iii cpu which does not have the processing power to decode those hdtv-media-resolutions "

and the solution is:

"dreamx-1480 from friendtech, which has a 1480mhz pentium-iii that is capable of decoding hdtv-media up to 720p"

from those 2 quotes you see that the main component that has isues with decoding 720p htv is the cpu (as apparently even with the friendtech upgrade, you cant decode 1080i, so the only resolution that youd get for the upgrade is 720p). no where does it say that upgrading the ram will help, even then the cpu cant decode those streams. so just go ahead and get the dreamx if decoding 720p content is that important to you.

what exactly, besides a few clips from ms on thier website, do you plan on watching on the xbox that has that 720p resolution?
you answered it yourself.

Quote:"xbox only has a 733mhz intel pentium-iii cpu which does not have the processing power to decode those hdtv-media-resolutions "

and the solution is:

"dreamx-1480 from friendtech, which has a 1480mhz pentium-iii that is capable of decoding hdtv-media up to 720p"

from those 2 quotes you see that the main component that has isues with decoding 720p htv is the cpu (as apparently even with the friendtech upgrade, you cant decode 1080i, so the only resolution that youd get for the upgrade is 720p). no where does it say that upgrading the ram will help, even then the cpu cant decode those streams. so just go ahead and get the dreamx if decoding 720p content is that important to you.

what exactly, besides a few clips from ms on thier website, do you plan on watching on the xbox that has that 720p resolution?
btw... the reason i asked about the ram is that the dreamx 1480 comes with an upgrade of 128 megs so of course what i was wondering could it be that just a ram upgrade get around this problem and no one has really tested it that way? thanks again
btw... the reason i asked about the ram is that the dreamx 1480 comes with an upgrade of 128 megs so of course what i was wondering could it be that just a ram upgrade get around this problem and no one has really tested it that way? thanks again
well, im sure that if the ram upgrade affected the ability to play hd streams, it would be noted on the dreamx website, since its not, they only say the cpu needs to be upgraded to play hd streams.

id still like to know what your going to watch that needs that sort of power. i to have a hdtv, and am always on the lookout for new stuff to play on it.
well, im sure that if the ram upgrade affected the ability to play hd streams, it would be noted on the dreamx website, since its not, they only say the cpu needs to be upgraded to play hd streams.

id still like to know what your going to watch that needs that sort of power. i to have a hdtv, and am always on the lookout for new stuff to play on it.
hi sigtom

once again thanks for the reply it does make sense. for a home dvd player i have a lg dv7832nxc  this player allows me to upsample a normal dvd to hdtv resolutions. after reading a post by "jmarshall" (one of the developers ) talking about the xbmc and ms dash dvd player..says the following:

"xbmc does upsample nicely to hdtv modes, whereas the ms dash does not (hacked it can do 480p though)."

although i could be wrong i believe his statement means that by enabling the "upsample video to gui resolution" in the "my video's" settings and run the xbmc interface (skin) at the 1080i or 720p setting you will upsample any video's you play.

i do know that when running the skin at 1080i and videos that normally won't launch running off the network share (see my thread above) simply turning this option off then allows the video to launch and the tv indicates it is 480p. as well when running videos off the hd with this option enabled the tv indicates that the source is 1080i or 720p depending on what i have the skin set to. if possible could one of the developers confirm if my understanding is correct?
hi sigtom

once again thanks for the reply it does make sense. for a home dvd player i have a lg dv7832nxc  this player allows me to upsample a normal dvd to hdtv resolutions. after reading a post by "jmarshall" (one of the developers ) talking about the xbmc and ms dash dvd player..says the following:

"xbmc does upsample nicely to hdtv modes, whereas the ms dash does not (hacked it can do 480p though)."

although i could be wrong i believe his statement means that by enabling the "upsample video to gui resolution" in the "my video's" settings and run the xbmc interface (skin) at the 1080i or 720p setting you will upsample any video's you play.

i do know that when running the skin at 1080i and videos that normally won't launch running off the network share (see my thread above) simply turning this option off then allows the video to launch and the tv indicates it is 480p. as well when running videos off the hd with this option enabled the tv indicates that the source is 1080i or 720p depending on what i have the skin set to. if possible could one of the developers confirm if my understanding is correct?
you are correct. running videos off the network uses a cache in ram, so uses more memory. it's obviously getting kinda low in 1080i mode when you are upsampling videos to the gui resolution (ie playing the video in 1080i or whatever) - try reducing your cache. more memory would help in this issue, but if reducing the cache causes all your videos to run in 1080i, and doesn't effect performance, you don't need the extra memory, obviously.
you are correct. running videos off the network uses a cache in ram, so uses more memory. it's obviously getting kinda low in 1080i mode when you are upsampling videos to the gui resolution (ie playing the video in 1080i or whatever) - try reducing your cache. more memory would help in this issue, but if reducing the cache causes all your videos to run in 1080i, and doesn't effect performance, you don't need the extra memory, obviously.
xbmc 1.0 manages to decode "hrhdtv" xvid (high definition rips) without problems. it doesn't manage 1280*720 mpeg2 .ts though, but i'm not convinced that's due to lack of cpu rather than synchronization issues.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9