Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to get music library to scan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been checking the wiki and Google, but something is not matching up between my setup and what I'm reading. The problem is that I can get xbmc to index my music so I can use library mode. Library is music is permanently grayed out it seems.

First of all, I'm running 9.11alpha2 on Ubuntu 9.10. I haven't made any any changes to skins or plugins, just have stock xbmc on Ubuntu. The music is all tagged pretty well, it's been through dozens of media players who can read the metadata, and when I do play the individual files with xbmc, it picks up all that info and displays it. It is on an SMB share, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference, other than perhaps slower indexing.

For videos, I was able to go to each folder there hit the info button on the remote and bring up the dialog to have them categorized and indexed so I can enable library mode. So I have a library for videos where the file browser actually works better and I'm stuck with file browser for music where a library would be appreciated.

In music, nothing happens when I press the info button, so no options to set the folder for indexing. Under music setting in the library part, there is no option to enable or disable library(I saw that a lot when trying to find answer, but I'm guessing this was an old feature?). It is set to update library at start up. I even left it alone over night thinking it might be indexing in the back ground, but this morning, no changes.

At this point I'm just stuck, right now now my music is pretty useless. I'm hoping it's some dumb little thing I missed or a quick change to a configuration file.
Pressing i on movie folders is certainly not the easiest way to create a video library although it may work for you:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38964

Same goes for music:
http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=Music_Li...your_music
I saw all those. I removed and readded my music directory again(I think this will be number 4). It gives me to option to stop scanning, so I guess that means it is scanning. Maybe it just takes a really long time to scan compared to every other media player out there. I only have about 3500 songs and I think the previous record for scanning all that into a library goes to Moovida at about half an hour. We'll see how this goes. I also really need to get the context menu mapped to my MCEUSB remote. Having to VNC in every time I want to bring it up gets old.
if you have "Download additional info on library update" enabled in settings, it will take a considerable time (also there should be a visual scanning indicator in the top right corner, that is if you are using the default skin)
bsharitt Wrote:I've been checking the wiki and Google, but something is not matching up between my setup and what I'm reading. The problem is that I can get xbmc to index my music so I can use library mode. Library is music is permanently grayed out it seems.

First of all, I'm running 9.11alpha2 on Ubuntu 9.10. I haven't made any any changes to skins or plugins, just have stock xbmc on Ubuntu. The music is all tagged pretty well, it's been through dozens of media players who can read the metadata, and when I do play the individual files with xbmc, it picks up all that info and displays it. It is on an SMB share, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference, other than perhaps slower indexing.

For videos, I was able to go to each folder there hit the info button on the remote and bring up the dialog to have them categorized and indexed so I can enable library mode. So I have a library for videos where the file browser actually works better and I'm stuck with file browser for music where a library would be appreciated.

In music, nothing happens when I press the info button, so no options to set the folder for indexing. Under music setting in the library part, there is no option to enable or disable library(I saw that a lot when trying to find answer, but I'm guessing this was an old feature?). It is set to update library at start up. I even left it alone over night thinking it might be indexing in the back ground, but this morning, no changes.

At this point I'm just stuck, right now now my music is pretty useless. I'm hoping it's some dumb little thing I missed or a quick change to a configuration file.

I'm having the same problem as this. I've searched through the forums and found a few posts with the same problem but no definitive answer.

I'm running 9.11 RC1 on Apple TV and my music is sitting on my Nas box. Used to work ok on my old xbox.

Thanks
What "same problem"?
Original poster had multiple problems, which have been addressed in this thread.
Apologies I should have been more specific

I've been checking the wiki and Google, but something is not matching up between my setup and what I'm reading. The problem is that I can't get xbmc to index my music so I can use library mode. Library in music is permanently grayed out it seems. When I open the context menu I do not have the option to scan to library.

It is however working perfectly in movies and TV shows

Any suggestions as to where I could be going wrong?

Thanks
What XBMC version?
"When I open the context menu I do not have the option to scan to library."
On what do you open the context menu? (it's contextual, so the item or source you have selected while bringing it up must contain tagged music files).
sho Wrote:What XBMC version?
"When I open the context menu I do not have the option to scan to library."
On what do you open the context menu? (it's contextual, so the item or source you have selected while bringing it up must contain tagged music files).

I'm running XBMC 9.11RC1 on Apple TV

What i'm doing is opening the context menu from within music on the source that I have added.

The source is just a shared folder on my NAS. What I do not understand is that the library worked ok with the same source on my xbox.

I'm sure it must be something silly I'm missing.

Thanks
Problem seems to have fixed it's self....