Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live Alpha 2 does not autostart after running update-grub
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently installed Windows 7 on an ASrock ION with XBMC Live Alpha 2 installed. This then involves reinstalling GRUB to restore access to the XBMC Live partition, which I did and ran the UPDATE-GRUB command to reinstate the various options in the boot list menu.

Since this point XBMC Live will not autoload and also did not automatically login as XBMC (I've since fixed this). I've looked at and tried what is in a lot of the posts regarding autostarting XBMC on Ubuntu but none of these seem to be relevant to XBMC Live. I even tried to go back to legacy GRUB but this didn't make any difference.

XBMC Live now logs in automatically but to start XBMC Live I have to manually execute the XBMC and STARTX commands in this sequence. STARTX also logs to the first console which is minor but annoying.

I want to go back to how it was pre-GRUB2, with XBMC Live loading automatically. I know this is not strictly an XBMC Live issue but would appreciate any suggestions.
make sure to have grub-pc append the following

Code:
boot=live splash module=nvidia quiet persistent quickreboot quickusbmodules skipconfig union=aufs xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount,setvolume,wakeOnUSBRemote loglevel=0

to the kernel cmdline (GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= on /etc/default/grub - pls confirm, totally untested)
I added the parameters and re-ran update-grub to update grub.cfg. This built the correct command line and tagged on the parameters (I checked this by pressing 'e' in the Grub boot menu and checking they had been added). However this took about 3 minutes to boot and then presented a Debian 'Boot Failed' error and dropped into BusyBox. If you need any logs etc let me know.
Took off the boot=live parameters and this fixed it, or at least allows XBMC to autostart. You do however see the console message for last login and the Linux version but XBMC loads shortly after.
my fault, boot=live is required from a removable media only.
The dirty messages on boot is something that is annoying me very much, but I still have to find a good and safe way to silence them.
Thanks for the prompt response and excellent information, this was driving me nuts!
No chance for me, i use a zotac ion board and i still have to startx to bring up xbmc when appending that line to the grub config and doing update-grub.

Anyone got a clue?
I have the same issue but in my case since updating live alpha 2 to live beta 1.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62341