Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XMBC on Macbook loses bit-depth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm using XBMC on a Macbook (GPU Intel X3100 graphics card if that matters). The problem is whatever skin I'm using (even the built in ones) seems to drop the graphics to 256 colors. The same skins and profiles work perfectly fine on my G5. The background pictures and movies themselves look fine as well. It's just the graphics for the skins. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
It's a known problem with the drivers in 10.6 for X3100. Nothing XBMC can fix I think.
jmarshall Wrote:It's a known problem with the drivers in 10.6 for X3100. Nothing XBMC can fix I think.

Oh. That kind of sucks. What if you take the 10.5 X3100 drivers and put them in 10.6? Do you know what files would be involved?
Gael Wrote:Oh. That kind of sucks. What if you take the 10.5 X3100 drivers and put them in 10.6? Do you know what files would be involved?

Death and destruction, you don't mix kext drivers between major OS version especially with all the work Apple as done regarding corevideo and opencl.

If you don't like the status of 10.6 for X3100 hardware, drop back to 10.5.
davilla Wrote:If you don't like the status of 10.6 for X3100 hardware, drop back to 10.5.

I'm actually looking for a solution thanks. And downgrading my OS to run one program is not a solution. But thanks for the snide advice.
You're welcome Smile
Gael Wrote:I'm actually looking for a solution thanks. And downgrading my OS to run one program is not a solution. But thanks for the snide advice.

It's not snide advice. We don't control OSX's 3100 kext drivers, Apple does, and they set the pace on even recognizing that there's a problem with the video driver. We have absolutely no control over what and when Apple does regarding anything. Do a google search, lot's of other Apps that play video content are also suffering under the exact same problem. The solution, go back to 10.5. It will resolve the video problem.
For my benefit, why could this happen?

I'm not implying it isn't true, but I'm curious how the driver could be affecting only the skin but not the video itself or anything else in the system. What calls are being made in the skinning system that only apply to it?
eduo Wrote:For my benefit, why could this happen?

I'm not implying it isn't true, but I'm curious how the driver could be affecting only the skin but not the video itself or anything else in the system. What calls are being made in the skinning system that only apply to it?

Sounds like you are implying that we have no clue and don't know what we are doing. The system uses corevideo and not opengl. video uses opengl but not to the extent of the gui. It's a driver problem and unless you want to send a dev a system with this video hardware, there's not much we can do to work around it.
davilla Wrote:Sounds like you are implying that we have no clue and don't know what we are doing. The system uses corevideo and not opengl. video uses opengl but not to the extent of the gui. It's a driver problem and unless you want to send a dev a system with this video hardware, there's not much we can do to work around it.

No. It doesn't. I know things can be misunderstood and english is not my native language, so I tried to be clear I was just being curious. I'm intrigued on why this could happen, what is done differently in the skin system to the display of audio or backgrounds.

I don't have this machine nor this problem. I stumbled onto it looking for something else and it struck me as something I would've never figured out on my own. I usually do tech support, so I get intrigued by weird problems.

I'm not demanding a solution, I'm not implying anything I didn't say straight out and I can't either see where it would be read as that, unless you're expecting anyone to comment on this to be complaining.

Your explanation points at what is going on, which is everything I wanted to know. I don't understand the need for the hostile reaction, really. Even if I could be implying you don't have a clue it's obvious I have even less, since I'm asking, so I couldn't be demanding anything at any rate.

Not all questions are attacks, and not all responses need to be defensive, geez.
eduo Wrote:No. It doesn't. I know things can be misunderstood and english is not my native language, so I tried to be clear I was just being curious. I'm intrigued on why this could happen, what is done differently in the skin system to the display of audio or backgrounds.

I don't have this machine nor this problem. I stumbled onto it looking for something else and it struck me as something I would've never figured out on my own. I usually do tech support, so I get intrigued by weird problems.

I'm not demanding a solution, I'm not implying anything I didn't say straight out and I can't either see where it would be read as that, unless you're expecting anyone to comment on this to be complaining.

Your explanation points at what is going on, which is everything I wanted to know. I don't understand the need for the hostile reaction, really. Even if I could be implying you don't have a clue it's obvious I have even less, since I'm asking, so I couldn't be demanding anything at any rate.

Not all questions are attacks, and not all responses need to be defensive, geez.

Sorry but I could not see your face and could only go by the text and the context. Smile

In reading this thread (as well as the other threads about the x3100 under 10.6), you might have missed the fact that we are already in defensive mode. We have already stated (many times) that there's nothing we can do to fix this, it's an Apple problem.
davilla Wrote:Sorry but I could not see your face and could only go by the text and the context. Smile

In reading this thread (as well as the other threads about the x3100 under 10.6), you might have missed the fact that we are already in defensive mode. We have already stated (many times) that there's nothing we can do to fix this, it's an Apple problem.

I didn't read other threads about it until after I saw and asked in this one. I wouldn't have assumed anyone was in defensive mode but I wouldn't have commented on it if I had known, at least.

I understand there's nothing that can be done. Otherwise it would've been done already as it's not something minor. It was clear from the thread the problem was Apple's included driver but I wanted to know the technical reason this was a problem, more than kicking anyone in the nuts for not having fixed it. You've pointed at what could be, I can search around the rest with that.

Thanks for the responses.