Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbox360 & XBMC's UPnP Media Server - Video library is shown but videos won't playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,
First post here, so hi all and thanks to everyone involved for this great piece of software that is XBMC.

Ok, here's the thing. I setup XBMC (the latest stable version 9.04.1-repack2) under Windows. My Video library has been scraped into my video library and everything works fine.

Video sources are coming from a FreeNAS Samba share, so they are not stored locally on the HDD but on the network (if that matters for what is to come :-) )

However, I've setup a Mapped network drive and it is this network drive which I added as a video source in XBMC. I didn't directly add the Samba share (maybe I should?)

So, after everything has been setup properly, I enabled the UPnP server, turned on my Xbox 360. It happily connected to the XBMC Media Server. I could also navigate the whole video libary. However, once I choose a video file and try to play it back, nothing happens. It just doesn't start. No message from the 360 like missing codec or whatever. Just nothing happens.

Now here's a thought that just crossed my mind while writing (though I can't test right now as I'm not home):
I didn't add a video source under UPnP Video Shareing sources (or whatever it is called). Nevertheless, my libary was display on the 360. It just didn't playback. Could this be related? Do I need to explicitely add the Sources in the UPnP settings screen for the streaming to work?

I read somewhere that there could be problems when the folder depth is to deep. I have TV Shows\Show Name\Season XY\Episode.avi. That shouldn't be a problem.

Oh yeah, the video files are fine as I can stream them directly from my FreeNAS box using Fuppes (another UPnP Media Server Software).

Hope someone can provide help.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'm running Windows 7
Do the files play on the 360 when viewed from the FreeNAS box using Fuppes? You may have already answered this, but I wasn't clear.
Yes, I can play the files fine when streaming through the FreeNAS box with Fuppes. So the network setup is fine and the videos are fine. It looks like it's an issue with the XBOX 360 and Xbox 360. I'm still not home. But as soon as I'll be, I will try to digg deeper
You might look through this thread.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62106

The fact that the 360 sees your XBMC library would suggest you've already got everything set up right, but I guess there's no harm in double checking.
I finally managed to get back to XBMC. Life was getting in the way of playing around with my new media server setup.

Anyway, I now added TV Shows and Movies folder as a UPnP Video Share under UPnP settings. Still, I get the same result. I can navigate my Folder structure but I can't play...and here comes something new...Videos which content has been set as TV Show.

Content which has been set as Movies are being played/streamed.

So it must be somehow related to the "TV Shows" content not being properly streamed (probably a bug somewhere).

For the time being, I just connect my notebook using a HDMI cable to my TV until I (or rather someone else :-) ) find a solution. Fuppes on the FreeNas has some issues so I currently can't use that neither.
bump.. im having the same problem movies play fine but none of my tv shows will play. nothing happens. running xbmc 9.1 on ubuntu karmic.
Same issue here. Also on 9.11 and Karmic, absolutely no info shows in debug log when I click play on the 360 so I've not included the log.

Anyone got a fix yet?
Was anyone able to resolve this issue? I am in the same situation: I am able to play videos if they are added to the library as "Movies" but not if they are classified as, for example, TV Shows. However, regardless of whether they are Movies or TV Shows, I can browse them and get all the way to the XBOX "Play" option but no further.
Having the same problem - As a bit more insight, the xbox sees the movies as having a length of 2 minutes, however the tv episodes have no length, which I think is the problem.

EDIT: I updated the sqlite database because it was incorrectly reporting movie lengths - XBMC is using the runtime of a movie in minutes and presenting it to the XBOX (or the 360 is interpreting it) as seconds rather than minutes.

I have not found the runtime length field of the episodes yet, but it is my thought that without a runtime length of anything given to the 360, the files will not play.

I'm going to search the bug database and report this if it is not already present.
Same problem on mac osx, running Dharma beta 2. It must be a very small bug, because if I add an episode manually to the library, I can play it on the xbox 360 just fine. Let me know if I can do something to help fix this bug, because this software is AWESOME and I'd like to use it to its full potential.

Thanks,
Biker
Hello,
here's a temporary fix for those who need it; get yourself a hex editor and look for the string object.item.videoItem.videoBroadcast in the XBMC binary (under MacOSX you can find it in /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/MacOS, but it should work for any architecture) and replace the dot (.) between videoItem and videoBroadcast with a zero (I mean a binary zero, not the character zero, so you have to do it on the hex view of your hex editor, not in the ascii view). Please backup your binary somewhere before trying this; also, I'm not responsible is something goes wrong, you are totally on your own. Smile

PS: I have only tried this on Dharma beta 2.
The latest version works fine, thank you very much! Smile