Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Russian Language for XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
here a file of translation into russian. in the future it will be added and corrected.

russian.rar (6 kb)

i do not know where exactly to place it a file, therefore have uploaded here at a forum.

sorry. now link is work.

update. russian.rar v1.01 (6 kb)

whether russian in the following versions xbmc will be added?
well thanks for the transaltion, but the link don't work. Sad
you can submit files by posting in the forum this topic has been moved or even better (for us to track patches) on our trac. Smile
Hi!
I just finished the new, updated russian traslation for the XBMC (version 8.10). Some bugs was fixed. There are some Kbytes of text was added. Whom can I send the file to?
Thanks.
Please upload it as an patch to trac.
sho Wrote:Please upload it as an patch to trac.

I can't understand how to upload the files to trac Sad. So I placed the file to my own FTP - "ftp://193.200.175.69/FTP/XBMC Russian.zip"
Download it please.
Thanks.
Here's a short help Smile

Can't download from your ftp.

Log in to http://trac.xbmc.org with your forum username and password (note that it is casesensitive), then click on "Create new ticket"

1: Here you put which revision of the English strings.xml you have translated from.
2: This should read you username
3: Mark this checkbox and click "Create ticket" and you will be taken to an upload page for the file, attach the translated strings.xml (and if you have altered the langinfo.xml aswell)

Thats about it..

If you don't succed with it, then email me the file (blittan@xbmc.org)

Thanks
I'm currently working on correcting/updating the Russian translation for XBMC 11.0 and, as I understand, I need to submit finished translation via Trac. But what should I do with built-in add-ons like Confluence skin or music visualization or srceensavers? Where do I need to submit these translations to?
Anything in the main git on trac or github, anything else goes to the addon mailing list
spiff Wrote:Anything in the main git on trac or github, anything else goes to the addon mailing list

Got it.

BTW, the main translation is completed, and now I'm performing linguistic testing against a live build (11.0 beta1). If everything goes smoothly, by the New Year Russian users will have a professional localization for 11.0+Confluence.Smile

BTW2, there is this huge "the multiple plurals problem" that affects Russian and several other Slavic languages like Ukrainian or Polish. The matter is that Russian has 3 forms of plural:
1) General plural (descriptive, without a numeral)
2) 2-4 plural (with numerals that end with 2-4, like 2, 4, 22, 33, 44 etc)
3) 5+ plural (with numerals that end with 0 or 5 and greater, like 6, 8, 10, 25, 36, 148, etc).
Not to mention the fact that numerals that end with 1 require a singular form. (I know that this is complicated Smile)
Now because English has only 1 form of plural (-s) there is a great chance of grammatical disagreement if in Russian we simply use 1 form of plural for strings like "number+plural", e.g. "4 episodes" or "10 items".
Many software products that are targeted to Russian or other Slavic markets have software checks for stings like "numeral+noun" to choose a correct form.
I do understand that this is too much to ask to introduce such checks in XBMC, but maybe the developers could avoid strings like "number+noun", e.g. "3 episodes", "10 items" and always use the forms like "noun:+numeral" instead, e.g. "Episodes: 3", "Items: 10". In this case we can use only 1 form and no need for numeral checks.
This will greatly simplify the job for Slavic translators and help to avoid weird looking GUI strings with grammar errors ("3 серий", "71 объектов") in their languages.
Roman_V_M Wrote:BTW2, there is this huge "the multiple plurals problem" that affects Russian and several other Slavic languages like Ukrainian or Polish.

Same here.

The dual in the Slavic languages (Wikipedia)

Full list of "problem" languages:

Belarusian
Croatian
Czech
Polish
Russian
Slovak
Serbian
Slovene
Sorbian
Ukrainian
Roman_V_M Wrote:e.g. "4 episodes" or "10 items".
Many software products that are targeted to Russian or other Slavic markets have software checks for stings like "numeral+noun" to choose a correct form.
I do understand that this is too much to ask to introduce such checks in XBMC, but maybe the developers could avoid strings like "number+noun", e.g. "3 episodes", "10 items" and always use the forms like "noun:+numeral" instead, e.g. "Episodes: 3", "Items: 10". In this case we can use only 1 form and no need for numeral checks.
This will greatly simplify the job for Slavic translators and help to avoid weird looking GUI strings with grammar errors ("3 серий", "71 объектов") in their languages.

Just to shim in. I do understand the problems for Slavic languages but the problem is that "Items: 10" just doesn't sound right to me. It's not a natural way of saying things.

When i translate that to my native language Dutch it says "Stuks: 10" and "Afleveringen: 3" and that really sounds horrible.
It just isn't right.
"10 Stuks" and "3 Afleveringen" make definitely much much more sense to us.
So what you propose to "fix" for your language will break other "languages"
We are thinking of the solutions. Stay tuned.
viljoviitanen Wrote:http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/...tions.html

Just sayin' Wink

OK that works for XBMC itself but not for skins.
Maybe it can for add-ons but then they would need the ability to use that libc
Martijn Wrote:OK that works for XBMC itself but not for skins.
Maybe it can for add-ons but then they would need the ability to use that libc

Please elaborate. Why would it not work with skins? Are you familiar with the xbmc c++ codebase and how the current localization system works internally?

Anyway I'm not saying it's easy to switch the localization system, surely it's a lot of work, and an additional huge effort to convert all current skins and addons to the new system. Hopefully though if the localization system is to be changed, it could done in a backwards compatible way so that all skins and addons do not need to be changed at once.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the backwards compatible way for skins and addons would be so that if a numeric id is requested, use the old system, if a proper string, use the new system. So e.g. in skin it would be a matter of changing

<label>31006</label>

to

<label>View Options</label>

and then just change how the strings are fetched. I'm not sure how easily this could be accomplished. Anyway it seems mostly elsewhere in the code just the Get method is called, and if Get method was expanded so that it takes either an int or a string argument, that would be the start. (But it's been over 15 years since I last did anything with C++. So)

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...trings.cpp
Pages: 1 2