Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Minimal install on Karmic, some problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

i've installed with minicd.iso, a basic installation of Karmic.

XBMC boots fine, but i've some problem with boot..

after grub loading, i've black screen for about 25secs (when pendrive loads), then for 5-10secs the usplash screen and after XBMC loads..

i've installed bootchart to understand this behavior but doesn't work

can anyone help me?

I've a ZOTAC ION as mainboard, and the installation of 9.11 alpha2 doesn't work. No boot from usb pendrive Sad

thanks!
Quote:XBMC boots fine, but i've some problem with boot..

It is not really clear from your text what the problem is....
If the problem is the delay I would try the Legacy grub instead of the Grub2 that comes with karmic.
vikjon0 Wrote:It is not really clear from your text what the problem is....
If the problem is the delay I would try the Legacy grub instead of the Grub2 that comes with karmic.

ok.. i'll try to explain more clear sorry Smile

after the text "Grub Loading", i've about 25secs of black screen (but the pendrive load the system in meanwhile), after this black screen i get the usplash image for about 5secs and then XBMC..

thanks Smile
Yes, and what is the problem?
vikjon0 Wrote:Yes, and what is the problem?

i'm trying to understand why i got blackscreen e not the usplash (that coming up only when all kernel output is finished..)..

i'll try on the same board and UBUNTU 9.10 live to see if it's a problem of grub2 or the board itself
I get a delay with GRUB2 as I said so that could very well be the problem.
BUT the splash does not cover everthing...

I guess the live will also use grub2...?

Downgrade the grub on you HD instead.
stich86 Wrote:i'm trying to understand why i got blackscreen e not the usplash (that coming up only when all kernel output is finished..)..

i'll try on the same board and UBUNTU 9.10 live to see if it's a problem of grub2 or the board itself

Boot process on Karmic is very very tricky. They started using "upstart jobs" which mean processes don't come sequentially. They have certain conditions need to be fulfilled, than they start or stop. Me any also Luigi with xbmc live have some hard time making a clean and fast boot process.
alanwww1 Wrote:Boot process on Karmic is very very tricky. They started using "upstart jobs" which mean processes don't come sequentially. They have certain conditions need to be fulfilled, than they start or stop. Me any also Luigi with xbmc live have some hard time making a clean and fast boot process.

so the usplash executable doesn't start as first right?
do you have some guide or link to tweat the bootup of karmic?

the alpha2 doesn't work for me.. so i need to use a custom install :\