Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: ION and overscan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just bought a revo and have put the latest beta on there. The TV (this one) supports 720p

XMBC reports the screen is 1280*720 @ 50.00

The TV reports 1280*720 @ 60.00

The problem is that the output is too large for the screen in both xbmc and on the gnome desktop (overscan?).

Any tips on making the output fit my screen?
A lot of tvs has a setting for that. Look for scan mode or pixel mapping.
JumJum Wrote:A lot of tvs has a setting for that. Look for scan mode or pixel mapping.

I see no option like that at all, here is the manual

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1134165/9bc60c03...545917.pdf
It looks like page 37 has some info. You might need to get acquainted with the wonderful world of xorg.conf modelines.

I would setup a modeline for 1360x768 @ 60 Hz (the native resolution of your panel).
It is probably going to be something like this:

"1360x768@60" 85.800 1360 1440 1552 1792 768 771 777 795 +hsync +vsync

pulled from: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Data...28B.2FW.29

You'll probably have to disable the EDID modes and do a couple of things in there too.
Page 37 refers to connecting via VGA, right?

I am using HDMI.

The ION is sending out 720p and the TV supports 720p, it should *just work*, right?

I have just tried xbmc live and the issue is still there so it's not an Ubuntu thing
Unfortunately, sometimes things don't "just work", as you've found out. I had similar trouble (for different reasons) just trying to be helpful but feel free to try other options.

This was a follow on to JumJum suggestion to get 1:1 pixel mapping (and let the video card scale the content) as it would eliminate the overscan and give you the best quality.

This can work over HDMI to with a custom xorg.conf but it will take a bit of fiddling around and learning (if you're up for it).
Hi, if you update the nvidia drivers from the website to the latest version 190.42 it will give you an overscan compensation slider that should work.
Well, you're still running 1280x720 on a 1360x768 panel, so I don't think it would be as sharp, but that may be the easier route to go.
Have you tried disabling "Force Full GPU Scaling" in nvidia-settings?
Quote:Have you tried disabling "Force Full GPU Scaling" in nvidia-settings?
This did not help
Quote:Hi, if you update the nvidia drivers from the website to the latest version 190.42 it will give you an overscan compensation slider that should work.
many thanks, I updated to 190.42 and was able to make the screen usable. This feels like a workaround though.
Quote:Unfortunately, sometimes things don't "just work", as you've found out. I had similar trouble (for different reasons) just trying to be helpful but feel free to try other options.
I appreciate the comments, my apologies if it looked liked I was being dismissive. I am struggling to see what the vga settings have to do with the VGA settings. I have spent a lot of time configuring X in the past but never HDMI, [foolishly?] I assumed that as soon as the ION was outputting at 1280*720 then that was all my TV would need. It hurts my head that 720p being outputted to the TV is too big. I don't get it
edit your etc/x11/xorg.conf Add the following line under Section "Screen" reboot and adjust resolution and it should show your correct resolution.

Code:
Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
liq456 Wrote:edit your etc/x11/xorg.conf Add the following line under Section "Screen" reboot and adjust resolution and it should show your correct resolution.

Code:
Option         "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
Thanks but this didn't help
I've had this problem with Windows 7 and a Vizio 37" 1360x768 TV...Every month or so I give it a solid 30min trying to solve it. Most of my googling lead me to that "just scan" TV option but unless I'm blind the TV has no such feature. VGA I have no overscan and run at 1360x768, though the colors aren't as sharp, but HDMI at 1280x720 has like a 1/4" overscan.
dc2447 Wrote:Thanks but this didn't help

post your xorg.conf file
Pages: 1 2