Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Watching ISO files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know I can use DaemonTools or some other program to mount an ISO and play a DVD like that, but that completely ruins the experience I want with XBMC.

Basically, I ripped my entire DVD collection to ISO format using no compression. I did this because I want to lose no image quality, retain all the menus and special features, and want to easily burn a copy if I want to bring a movie to a friend's house or something or other.

Anyway, I tried opening the ISO files directly in XBMC and it works alright, but I really want to use FFDShow filters to make some image improvements. I searched a bit and found out how to get external players to work with XBMC (Media Player Classic as well as like four others) but those all gave me huge problems ranging from not loading at all to saying a 2 hour movie is 7 minutes long. Lots of weird stuff.

Is there any way to go about loading ISOs of DVDs in XBMC? Hell, if I have to go the mounting route (using DaemonTools or whatever) I'll do that if there's a way to seamlessly incorporate it into XBMC, though I can't imagine how that would work. Anyone who could help would be doing me the biggest of favors. Believe me when I say I've been messing around for hours; I didn't just come here expecting someone to figure it out for me.

Thanks!! Big Grin
huh? make a batch file that mounts, plays and unmounts. no rocket engineer required there.
We support playback with our own players for iso support.. external players are only partly supported.. Only for "silly" Smile advanced users who think they can improve picture by some artificial mean (well okey for those wanted hw accell on windows too)
elupus Wrote:We support playback with our own players for iso support.. external players are only partly supported.. Only for "silly" Smile advanced users who think they can improve picture by some artificial mean (well okey for those wanted hw accell on windows too)

Yeah I do need hardware acceleration. I know there is support for ISO files. I love XBMC....been using it for 5+ years on my original XBox. It's just time for some 3tb and HD fun now. Not to mention I have XBMC installed on an SSD and it boots in less than a second Smile

Anyway I'd be willing to do the batch file thing but I am unfamiliar with it. I know it usually entails making a .bat file, editing it in notepad, stuff like that to do command prompts instantly. But I don't get how this helps me with XBMC and mounting and unmounting.
you put your external player for .iso files as that batch file. the batch file would

1) mount %1 using dt / whatever
2) launch whatever player you want to use
3) umount %1
spiff Wrote:you put your external player for .iso files as that batch file. the batch file would

1) mount %1 using dt / whatever
2) launch whatever player you want to use
3) umount %1

I'm a bit daft, so you'll have to bear with me. I don't want to launch a player, I want to use XBMC but have it use Media Player Classic to view videos/ISO files. I don't want to have to double click a bat file then double click a different bat file then load XBMC. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.
DaddyLongLegs Wrote:I'm a bit daft, so you'll have to bear with me. I don't want to launch a player, I want to use XBMC but have it use Media Player Classic to view videos/ISO files. I don't want to have to double click a bat file then double click a different bat file then load XBMC. If anyone could help I'd appreciate it.

Reading your original post we understand you know how to launch an external player from within xbmc.

Spiff is trying to explain you that to achieve what you want, you will need to create a batch file, then call this batch file from within xbmc instead of directly call the external player.

After all, this batch file would take care about the rest automagically: mounting the iso, launching your favorite external player, then unmount the iso after playing.
olympia Wrote:Reading your original post we understand you know how to launch an external player from within xbmc.

Spiff is trying to explain you that to achieve what you want, you will need to create a batch file, then call this batch file from within xbmc instead of directly call the external player.

After all, this batch file would take care about the rest automagically: mounting the iso, launching your favorite external player, then unmount the iso after playing.

Thanks, I do understand how to launch an external player but only by following a guide I read here. I just added some info to a file using notepad from what I recall. This batch process stuff is definitely a bit beyond what I know how to do. I apologize if I'm asking annoying or stupid questions, but I'd appreciate any help!
Can no one help me with this batch stuff? Sorry if it sounds newbish but I can't wrap my head around creating a bat file to mount an ISO to a virtual DVD drive then playing seamlessly in XBMC.
If I am asking an annoying question that is already answered here, please at least point me to a FAQ. I searched "ISO" here and opened up 40 different threads with nothing pertaining to my question.
you're asking basic questions on how to use a computer. this is not the place.
spiff Wrote:you're asking basic questions on how to use a computer. this is not the place.

Creating a batch file to be readable by XBMC as if it were a video file that then tells an external program to mount a file to a virtual drive then open in an external program is "basic questions on how to use a computer"? Exaggerate much??

I'm trying not to be a douche here but I can't believe the responses I'm getting.
These might get you started on learning how to write batch files and mount .iso's with them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=daemon+tools+lite+cli&l=1
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=basic+batch+use&l=1
NasaGeek Wrote:These might get you started on learning how to write batch files and mount .iso's with them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=daemon+tools+lite+cli&l=1
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=basic+batch+use&l=1

Thank you very much. I am somewhat familiar with batch files, my main confusion coming from how to get XBMC to see it as if it were a video file. .BAT files don't exactly show up in "Videos".
Have a look here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1185529

where someone has done it (posts #1, #144, #153). I haven't tried it myself, and you will need to experiment.

There's a lot of other useful XBMC stuff in this thread.

HTH,

Mike
Pages: 1 2