Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Cannot automount sources on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Linux Distribution and Version
Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10

Architecture
i386

Install Method
Karmic Team XBMC PPA

Revision
9.11 Alpha 2

Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem
Whenever I plug my 500GB USB external hard drive into my XBMC PC, the drive mounts in Ubuntu and I get a popup "Mounted removable drive", but the source is not automatically added. I have to add the source manually. The automounting worked in Jaunty, and only became an issue after I upgraded to Karmic.

FULL Debug Log
http://paste.ubuntu.com/326391/

System hardware specs (CPU, RAM, Chipset, etc.)
Pentium 4 2.26Ghz
nVidia 8400GS 256MB PCI
2GB DDR RAM
Integrated sound

Kernel Version
2.6.31-15-generic
I tried deleting my .xbmc folder and letting it be recreated, with no luck. Has anyone else seen this issue with Karmic?
Anyone?
There is beta1 available for some time. Try it.
Updated to beta1 through the PPA. It didn't help with the drives I'm having issue with. I did some more testing though, and it appears that USB Flash-based drives will automount in XBMC OK, while USB hard drives don't. Both drives automount in Ubuntu fine, and both drives show up in the root of the "Add new source" browser whenever I go to mount them manually, but only non-hard disk USB drives will automount in XBMC.
Please, full Debug Log on the beta. And exactly how you start XBMC.

You _NEED_ to have --standalone for mounting.
Debug log at http://paste.ubuntu.com/333947/

I just run xbmc. I didn't have to use --standalone before in Jaunty to have it autoadd the sources, and it works for USB flash drives, just not USB hard drives.
XBMC won't mount without --standalone. It will autosource without it though, but something needs to mount it then.

Please try again with --standalone.
I'm not having issues mounting. I'm sorry for the confusion in terminology; I should have been more specific. I am running XBMC as an application on top of Ubuntu Karmic 9.10, logged in to GNOME. Whenever I attach a USB hard disk, Ubuntu recognizes and mounts it, but XBMC does not automatically add the source. Whenever I attach a USB Flash drive, Ubuntu recognizes and mounts it, and XBMC automatically adds the source. I would like for USB hard disks to be automatically added as sources like USB Flash drives are. This functionality worked on Jaunty, and stopped working directly after I upgraded to Karmic.
I did a complete fresh reinstall of Karmic and the problem still persists. XBMC will not autosource an external USB hard drive, but will autosource an external USB Flash-based drive. I thought maybe drive format was an issue, but both the USB Flash drive and the external hard drive are formatted NTFS. I have no idea what to do at this point.
Did you ever try what was suggested

run it like this
xbmc --standalone

xbmc should be able to mount independent of gnome.
JackieBrown Wrote:Did you ever try what was suggested

run it like this
xbmc --standalone

xbmc should be able to mount independent of gnome.

Yes. It didn't solve the problem.

Let me make this clearer. I should have never said that I have an issue with mounting. I got my terminology mixed up. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Whenever I attach any USB drive, Gnome mounts it with no problems. Again, I have no issues whatsoever with mounting.

Whenever I attach a USB drive that uses Flash (like a pocket USB drive), I get a popup that says "Mounted removable device" with the path to the mounted device, and XBMC auto-sources it for Music or Videos without issue.

Whenever I attach a USB drive that is a hard drive (like my 500GB Western Digital Passport or my generic external hard drive case) I get the popup that says "Mounted removable device" with the path to the mounted device, but the drive is not auto-sourced.

The auto-sourcing of this exact hard drive worked without flaw when this exact hardware was running Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and using XBMC. The event that triggered this issue was upgrading the computer to Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic.
I have another debug log. http://paste.ubuntu.com/335572/

In this log, I have inserted a USB Flash drive (that does not exhibit the issue that I am describing) that is automounted at /media/KITTY. XBMC auto-sources this drive fine. I then safely remove this drive and insert a USB hard drive that is affected by the auto-sourcing issue. XBNC does not auto-source this drive.
Hi Dorsey, i am encountering the same problems, were you able to find a fix for this?

Thanks,

TV
Never found a solution, so I just learned to live with it. It's annoying that it used to work and now doesn't, but the hard drives stay in most of the time anyway and autosourcing still works for Flash drives, so it's not too bad.
Pages: 1 2