Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Easier Way to Stop Trailer Playback?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just started using Transparency and I've noticed a slight usability issue that I thought I should point out. I've been using Rapier and there is a mod for it called TrailerView (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59131). The way it works is in one of the views, if a trailer is present, you can press down on the remote and the trailer will start playing onscreen in a small window.

This is very similar to how it's handled in Transparency, which is a really excellent feature. One difference, though, is when the trailer is finished or if you want it to stop playing, you just hit down on the remote again. I use XBMC on AppleTV. Once the trailer starts with Transparency, there's no button press that will make it stop. I finally figured out that if I click over to the option bar, I can navigate to the mini playback control and stop it that way.

I was thinking that it would be really great if the same trailer button that starts playback would also stop it if clicked while a trailer was playing. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it's similar in concept to clicking down to start and then clicking down to stop in Rapier's TrailerView mod.

Anyway, love the skin and appreciate all of the work you've put into it. Thanks!
silly question maybe, but doesn't the atv remote have a 'stop' button?

another option would be to press the 'menu' button (if it has that one), to bring up the player controls...
Not a silly question! Believe it or not, the AppleTV remote does not have a Stop button. During playback, pressing and holding the Play button for 3 seconds sends a stop command. I have press-and-hold Play set to Info while navigating the Library. Once I start playing a trailer, press-and-hold Play doesn't seem to do anything, Stop or Info. If I hit the Menu button during trailer playback, I am taken back to the Home screen and the trailer is now playing fullscreen in the background, behind the navigation bar. From there, I can bring up VideoOSD or MusicOSD (depending on how I have press-and-hold Menu set up in Keymap.xml) and hit stop there, but then the navigation sounds get disabled! I believe this is a glitch in XBMC for AppleTV, as navigation sounds have been disabled entirely until the recent Beta 1.

I've noticed that if you hit that trailer button while a trailer is playing, it will restart playback of that trailer from the beginning. I was just thinking that if there was some way for XBMC to recognize that the trailer was already playing when you clicked that icon/button, it could just stop playback instead of restarting it. Again, I don't even know if it's possible, it's just an idea...
as far as i know you can't assign two different actions to the same button.
i'm not sure how the Rapier mod is handling this.

besides, some users may like the fact that they can start a new trailer while the previous one is still playing.

is there really no way you can modify the button mapping of your remote, to either add the 'stop' or 'menu' action?
The Menu button on AppleTV is set to the ParentDir action, so hitting it just brings me to the Home screen with the trailer running fullscreen in the background. I have press-and-hold Play set to the Stop action in the <FullscreenVideo> section of Keymap.xml and set to the Info action in <MyVideoLibrary> and <MyVideoFiles> sections. This works properly when a trailer isn't playing, but hitting press-and-hold Play doesn't seem to do anything while a trailer is actually playing.

I'm not a skinner, but I think I thought that maybe the way that trailer button worked was kind of on/off, where you just hadn't assigned an "off" action if a trailer was already playing. The Rapier TrailerView mod made my uninformed mind assume that's how it worked.

It's no big deal. If I want to stop a trailer, I just have to remember to click over to the left menu and down to the mini-player control and hit the Stop button/icon.

Thanks again for a cool skin and I'm sorry I wasted your time on this!