Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Partitioning 9.11 Beta 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ive loaded up the live disc, selected install to disk
I go through all the keyboard network drive detection etc.
Then it comes to the partition screen
There is no option to partition the drive, only configure iSCSI disks, undo and finish.
even if I select finish, I then just get an error saying there's no root file system.

The drive is clean and un-partitioned 500GB Hard drive

Edit: I've just tried and old ubuntu minimal install disk that runs through just the same except This time I have option to partition.

Whats going on Huh
Just try one more time, my hdd appeared then.
john_zhou Wrote:Just try one more time, my hdd appeared then.

Ive tried a few times.
Ive just gone through with the Ubuntu min install disc, created and formated the partitions in a vein hope that the live install disk would pick those up......to no avail
I haven't personally tried the Beta yet, but I have read a few posts on this forum from various people that seem to indicate the install process for XBMC Live is kinda a step back compared to the Alpha, with some people finding it much harder to install on a HDD, see here for example:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62427

Thus it seems there are still a few issues to clear up before things run smoothly. I have Alpha2 installed fine and will be sticking with that until Camelot stable is released (I know this isn't very good for testing purposes, but I use my XBMC box all the time and haven't got the time at the moment to test the betas, got a preggers wife and she would NOT be happy Wink).
prupert Wrote:I haven't personally tried the Beta yet, but I have read a few posts on this forum from various people that seem to indicate the install process for XBMC Live is kinda a step back compared to the Alpha, with some people finding it much harder to install on a HDD, see here for example:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=62427

Thus it seems there are still a few issues to clear up before things run smoothly. I have Alpha2 installed fine and will be sticking with that until Camelot stable is released (I know this isn't very good for testing purposes, but I use my XBMC box all the time and haven't got the time at the moment to test the betas, got a preggers wife and she would NOT be happy Wink).

I thought being as this one includes the default debian installer things would be the same as the minimum install of Ubuntu. Thing go through the same motions until it gets to the partitioning part.
Never mind I'll wait try the next release, The version i'm running (9.04 with smoothvideo) isn't too bad, just crashes now and again.
Speaking as a Linux noob, I didn't have any problems using the partitioning in the Beta1 installer. It actually gives a lot more flexibility if you want to dual boot on the same HDD.

If you just follow the instructions on screen (I ignored things I didn't know like LVM (or whatever it was!!)) you should be fine. Don't be put off by the non-friendly simple text dialog boxes!
BritBloke Wrote:Speaking as a Linux noob, I didn't have any problems using the partitioning in the Beta1 installer. It actually gives a lot more flexibility if you want to dual boot on the same HDD.

If you just follow the instructions on screen (I ignored things I didn't know like LVM (or whatever it was!!)) you should be fine. Don't be put off by the non-friendly simple text dialog boxes!

If only it was that easy, there are no options to partition the drive, only configure iSCSI disks, undo and finish, the rest is missing Huh
BritBloke Wrote:Speaking as a Linux noob, I didn't have any problems using the partitioning in the Beta1 installer. It actually gives a lot more flexibility if you want to dual boot on the same HDD.

This is all I get
No options to do anything useful Huh
@Bagger: can you provide info about your HW pls?
l.capriotti Wrote:@Bagger: can you provide info about your HW pls?

Yeah no problem.
Motherboard is an Asus P5B running a Core2Duo 2160 with 2 gigs ddr2ram

more specifically the SATA controller is the on board ICH-8 in IDE Mode, the HD is plugged into port 1 with the DVD-ROM In port 2.
Running in either compatible or enhanced mode makes no difference either.

On the installer [Detect Disks ] it comes up its detected SATA RAID controller, do I want to activate, press yes. Then on the [partition disks] I just get the above.Huh

On another note I've just run 9.11 A2 install to disk, that finds the drive and installs fine. No option to partition the drive though.
Set it to "AHCI" (prob enhanced?). The disks name should be /dev/sda
You do not want to configure RAID.
firaX Wrote:Set it to "AHCI" (prob enhanced?). The disks name should be /dev/sda
You do not want to configure RAID.

The compatible/enhanced option is for the IDE Mode

Why would I want to set it to AHCI, the drive doesn't support NCQ.
Bagger Wrote:This is all I get
No options to do anything useful Huh
I am getting the same thing with the final version of Camelot (repack) with a basic Intel motherboard and SATA hard drive. 9.04 worked great.

Did you find a solution?
Blue_Calx Wrote:I am getting the same thing with the final version of Camelot (repack) with a basic Intel motherboard and SATA hard drive. 9.04 worked great.

Did you find a solution?

It turned out that this particular version(both B1 & B2 didnt try final), did not like my hard drive. Why I dont know, cos as you say the earlier versions are fine.
What I did in the end, was dug out an old hard drive, which it found straight off, installed it to that, then cloned that to my original drive
Bit of a mess about I know but it all works fine now.