Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question about library info?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I did a search going back about a year, but can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether or not you can pull info from the database or the .nfo's in file mode?

I know, I know, file-mode is old, why not use the library mode... The problem is I hate library mode, I tried not to, I did, I really did, I even went so far as to put .nfo files along side all of my media. It took 3 days, and required me to verify each file was been scanned correctly, but I did it. And it still sucks.

The scrappers detect things wrong, and ignore others. I like file-mode because it shows me exactly what I have.

I know what kind of delay it would cause trying to pull all the info for my media when scrolling through a list, but that is not really what I'm asking for.
I want to have the ability to pull info either from the library or the .nfo, when I ask for it. ie. time delay, times up, pull info on that singular file, display info. So that if I let it sit on a file for say 3 seconds or press a button, it will then pull the data then. That way there is no lag in scrolling.

Has this been implemented yet? If so, is there a skin that is using this method?
Or will I be forced to make the time delay call a script, that poles the filename minus the extension and adds .nfo to the end, reads out the xml data, throws it into temp variables and then read those variables and displays that on the screen?

Why do I hate library mode, try scrapping with IMDB for a file named "Bolt (2008).avi" it leave the title field blank. That is just one instance, I have about 190 others.:o
no.
MacGyver Wrote:Why do I hate library mode, try scrapping with IMDB for a file named "Bolt (2008).avi" it leave the title field blank. That is just one instance, I have about 190 others.:o

But you want to display library-type info then some sort of scraper will be needed to get that data from somewhere? (unless you plan on typing it all in manually)

I can understand your annoyance with certain scrapes not returning the right results but that's why apps like Ember Media Manager exist. Try using one of those to get the NFO files setup for your media and then start using the library. It'll be worth it in the end! Nod
Or do that and THEN switch to file mode if you are this set in your ways.
(The metadata will be available in info windows and such)
Did that sho, for movies, I create the nfo's as I add files now, but only for movies.
I even scanned all the media into the library, but when you switch back to file-mode, the info is available only while the movie is playing.

Alright, thanks guys, I'll keep looking out for it.
It sounds like it isn't going to happen anytime soon by the posts I have seen. I think the only thing that will get it put into the skinning engine, is a fully working patch, and proof that it hasn't affected speed/usability, and even then....Big Grin

I can't complain, there is nothing even close to XBMC anywhere, keep up the great work devs.
MacGyver Wrote:the info is available only while the movie is playing.
What info are you after because info (i) works in file mode as long as it's been scanned to the library first?
Hitcher, what label/info tag are you using to display info from the library, while not in library mode?
I have the info in the library, but I still can only see it, while in library mode or if the movie is playing.
I've tried:
<label>$INFO[ListItem.Year]</label>
and
<info>ListItem.year</info>
they only show in library mode, or while playing.
Have you tried just having an nfo with the url to the movie on IMDB so the scrapper gets pointed to the correct one

Say for Bolt

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0397892/

Does it still get it wrong then ?

But as skunkm0nkee said why not just use Ember or MIP
X, like I said, I now have an .nfo file along side every movie I have on my media server, and that .nfo now has the correct IMDB ID, so my database is ok and correct, and I create new .nfo files for new media I add to my server. But even though the library is fine, and has the media info in it, I can not access things like "rating, mpaa, year, director, and tagline" while in file-mode. I can in library mode, obviously, and while the movie is playing, but not in file-mode like Hitcher said.

My original question asked whether or not this was even possible, and Spiff answered emphatically "no", but Hitcher said that it was possible, so I was trying to find out how he is doing it.
Short of creating a script to scrape the .nfo manually, I cannot see anyway to do it.

I wish the library mode had the ability to act like file-mode, in such that if I want to give it 3 of the 27 paths for my library, that it would only show me the titles in those paths. I basically have leveraged the power of multi-source bookmarks in source.xml to give me more control over what is displayed to me, ie. The root of my video screen gives me "All Television, Kids Television, Adult Televison, All Movies, Genre-Comedy, Genre-Horror, Genre-Drama, Genre-Comedy, Genre-Family, Genre-Action, New Movies (2008-2009)" each one of the bookmarks has multi-source paths, "All Television" has 2 paths, and "All Movies" has 26 paths. My server has all media split into 6 types "kidstv, tv, movies (with all those 5 genres as folders inside) kidsmovies (same folders inside as movies), newmovies (5 genres),newkidsmovies (5 genres). Because of this layout I can find anything quickly, and my daughter can use the same system, and not see things like Saw 2 in any listing she goes into. The library mode just shows you what has been scanned into it, and then it shows you everything in the library, I could use it if I had more control over what it will show me, like I said, if I could give it 2 paths have it show me only the media from the library in those paths only, but it can't. So all I want to do is continue using file-mode, but have the ability to ask the library database if it has any info on a file I have selected and let me access it.

Anyway, how are you accessing the info in file-mode Hitcher?
I should point out I was referring to the Info screen that's accessed by pressing 'i'.
Thanks Hitcher, I'll have to look at it when I get home. Maybe I can copy the way it works, or use it as an overlay.
MacGyver Wrote:X, like I said, I now have an .nfo file along side every movie I have on my media server, and that .nfo now has the correct IMDB ID, so my database is ok and correct, and I create new .nfo files for new media I add to my server. But even though the library is fine, and has the media info in it, I can not access things like "rating, mpaa, year, director, and tagline" while in file-mode. I can in library mode, obviously, and while the movie is playing, but not in file-mode like Hitcher said.

My original question asked whether or not this was even possible, and Spiff answered emphatically "no", but Hitcher said that it was possible, so I was trying to find out how he is doing it.
Short of creating a script to scrape the .nfo manually, I cannot see anyway to do it.

I wish the library mode had the ability to act like file-mode, in such that if I want to give it 3 of the 27 paths for my library, that it would only show me the titles in those paths. I basically have leveraged the power of multi-source bookmarks in source.xml to give me more control over what is displayed to me, ie. The root of my video screen gives me "All Television, Kids Television, Adult Televison, All Movies, Genre-Comedy, Genre-Horror, Genre-Drama, Genre-Comedy, Genre-Family, Genre-Action, New Movies (2008-2009)" each one of the bookmarks has multi-source paths, "All Television" has 2 paths, and "All Movies" has 26 paths. My server has all media split into 6 types "kidstv, tv, movies (with all those 5 genres as folders inside) kidsmovies (same folders inside as movies), newmovies (5 genres),newkidsmovies (5 genres). Because of this layout I can find anything quickly, and my daughter can use the same system, and not see things like Saw 2 in any listing she goes into. The library mode just shows you what has been scanned into it, and then it shows you everything in the library, I could use it if I had more control over what it will show me, like I said, if I could give it 2 paths have it show me only the media from the library in those paths only, but it can't. So all I want to do is continue using file-mode, but have the ability to ask the library database if it has any info on a file I have selected and let me access it.

Anyway, how are you accessing the info in file-mode Hitcher?

I'm pretty sure you could do what your after using Smart Playlists or just Playlists it just depends if you can create a playlist that points to the media in the way you want

One of the smart playlist rules can be "path is" amongst others when you have created a playlist you then add it to favourites, when its added to favourites you need to edit your favourites.xml as the example below which I have for HD Movies

From this

Code:
<favourite name="HD Movies">PlayMedia(special://profile/playlists/video/HD Movies.xsp)</favourite>

to this

Code:
<favourite name="HD Movies">[b]ActivateWindow(10025,[/b]special://profile/playlists/video/HD Movies.xsp)</favourite>

Once you have done that the playlist will open as a library when selected from favourites

Cant take credit for the code change as someone else gave it to me Smile
I have never used favorites, so I didn't even think to try them, I will now.

I have used playlists, but only to simulate the library's year function. I created a batch file to scan all of my movies ie. "Bolt (2008).avi" and create a playlist for "All 2000's.m3u" and 2008.m3u, and so on in folders like named "1970's" "1980's", and had the root of them mapped to a Bookmark in sources named "Chronological". The batch file used SED.EXE and SORT.EXE to automate it, it was a task that ran by itself nightly.
(see how much I refuse to use the library mode..)

Thanks for the info X. I hope I can get them to work
With smart playlists things just get added based on your rules, I tried opening normal favourites in library using the code change but it didn't work but playlists as favourites works fine you get just the normal library with only your chosen content from the playlist
Hitcher, I totally forgot that (i) did that, and your right, it does pull from the database, and I can use it as an overlay, I'll just have to make a DialogVideoInfo.xml with 4 times the code, and have it exit on arrow keys. Or can one of the devs tell me if there is a better way, or if those functions are specific to that window id (2003).
Pages: 1 2