Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
I'm trying to get XBMC crystalhd branch running on my atv.

Although XBMC is starting and seems to play various video files just fine, I don't get any audio through. I've hooked up my atv to my TV with a HDMI cable, am I correct that audio should work through the HDMI port?

Also, I noticed pulseaudio packages were installed when I compiled XBMC. I've stopped and disabled pulseaudio daemon, however, I wonder if I should purge these packages and rebuild XBMC.
I had the same problem with hdmi, apparently there is some conflict with recent nvidia drivers and the hdmi audio, you will have to use the analog audio for now.

davilla posted a few posts earlier seeming to suggest purging them along with command how to do so.

theres a lot of info in the thread about both those already, but it can be a pain to find spread out all over.
I got hdmi audio working on the ATV by using the 100.14.19 version of the Nvidia driver along with Alsa 1.0.21.
Good enough for now as I don't see any compelling reason to use the newer Nvidia drivers since everything works perfectly with the older version.
pin87a Wrote:I got hdmi audio working on the ATV by using the 100.14.19 version of the Nvidia driver along with Alsa 1.0.21.
Good enough for now as I don't see any compelling reason to use the newer Nvidia drivers since everything works perfectly with the older version.
The script posted in the Linux forum works for the Alsa upgrade, but i had to manually install libavutil49 first as it wasn't in the Hardy repository.
Code:
wget http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/f/ffmpeg-debian/libavutil49_0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i libavutil49_0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6_i386.deb

Eh ? what does libavutil (ffmpeg) have to do with the nvidia driver or ALSA ?

The only reason to install libavutil49 is to use external ffmpeg libs and I'd rather this NOT be done if testing crystalhd branch. It's hard enough to debug crystahd issues without tossing additional dependences with external libs in the mix.
davilla Wrote:Eh ? what does libavutil (ffmpeg) have to do with the nvidia driver or ALSA ?

The only reason to install libavutil49 is to use external ffmpeg libs and I'd rather this NOT be done if testing crystalhd branch. It's hard enough to debug crystahd issues without tossing additional dependences with external libs in the mix.

Hmm.. you are right. The information (and script) I linked to in the other thread made it look like it was a requirement for building/installing Alsa, but after removing it everything still works fine.
I had some issues installing 185, apparently

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-185

installs 190 instead, at which point X no longer booted up

so I tried to install 185 via ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...9-pkg1.run

and I must have screwed something up royally as it no longer even booted so I could ssh in.

so once the netboot finishes, I'll see what I can see, hopefully with less doodoo.
R25597 should fix playback for those files that previously showed funny diagonals in pretty colors.
Heads Up, R25612 added the Crystal HD as a renderer selection. You will need to select this to get hw decode.
davilla Wrote:Heads Up, R25612 added the Crystal HD as a renderer selection. You will need to select this to get hw decode.

Nice sir... it's looking good. Looks like you're getting closer and closer to something Smile.
davilla Wrote:R25597 should fix playback for those files that previously showed funny diagonals in pretty colors.
Just tried it out and it's working fine indeed, thank you sir. Same goes for the issue with subtitles, it's no longer here.

I'm having some issues with the 720p HDTV rips of The Lord of the Rings though, could you have a look at their mediainfo and see if something looks fishy?
http://pastebin.com/m394efc24

What happens is that the video looks like it's playing (sound comes out from the speakers) but only a black screen appears. I'll upload a sample if you tell me this isn't supposed to be happening.
Hi,
I decided to install linux on the ATV as didn't want to wait any longer for the HD. Also, it's been many years (more than 8) since I used linux in earnest, so I thought it would be challenging but fun.

I bet you guys could probably install linux on the ATV in 5 minutes, but it took me all of Sunday (starting at 10:00, finishing at 23:00!!!). I found it really challenging, and it would have been impossible without Davilla's guides and tutorials.

I now have Ubuntu hardy (I even know what this is now Wink ) installed on it, and tonight when I get back from work I want to start with the installation of XBMC, which if I have understood it right, means:
- getting the right branch of code with Crystal HD support
- building it
- installing all sorts of drivers
- playing with configuration and tweaking a bunch of settings to make it work.
Is this more or less right?

Sounds fun.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank Davilla for all the hard work he is doing
in coding XBMC and for sharing so much information. Many thanks, Scott! (I read so much stuff on Sunday that I even learnt your full name!)

MGA
andrereis Wrote:Just tried it out and it's working fine indeed, thank you sir. Same goes for the issue with subtitles, it's no longer here.

I'm having some issues with the 720p HDTV rips of The Lord of the Rings though, could you have a look at their mediainfo and see if something looks fishy?
http://pastebin.com/m394efc24

What happens is that the video looks like it's playing (sound comes out from the speakers) but only a black screen appears. I'll upload a sample if you tell me this isn't supposed to be happening.

[email protected] with 16 reference frames, the Crystal HD cannot handle this, too many reference frames. The limit is 10.

EDIT: maybe not, 16 is max with 1080p content, might be different for 720p. I would like a sample, pretty please with a cherry on top.
davilla Wrote:[email protected] with 16 reference frames, the Crystal HD cannot handle this, too many reference frames. The limit is 10.

EDIT: maybe not, 16 is max with 1080p content, might be different for 720p. I would like a sample, pretty please with a cherry on top.

But of course dear sir, we're here to do your bidding. btw, just noticed a huge number of
Code:
DVDVideoCodecCrystalHD: Timeout in CDVDVideoCodecCrystalHD::Decode. ret: 0x00000002 pData: (nil)
while perusing the log.

Log: http://pastebin.com/f13bd6dc4 (sorry had to crop, tell me if you need the header)
Sample: Rapidshare
Mediainfo: http://pastebin.com/m394efc24
[email protected] Wrote:I thought I had it up and running, but I have lots of dropped frames and crystalhd errors in my log:

http://pastebin.com/m1502a67e

Starting XBMC, Platform: GNU/Linux. Built on Dec 14 2009 (SVN:Unknown)

Depending on svn version, set renderer to "ARB" or "Broadcom Crystal HD".

make sure pulseaudio is killed "pulseaudio -k"

make sure xorg.conf has composite disable.
[email protected] Wrote:When I try to kill pulseaudio, I get an error:

Code:
root@atv:/home/mike# pulseaudio -k
E: main.c: Failed to kill daemon.

pulseaudio is already dead.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34