Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Performance problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey there, I'm running Alaska along with XBMC 9.11 Beta1 on my MacBook Pro (late '07) under OS X 10.6.2 and I have some serious performance problems. Despite the almost dying fans (around 3500 rpm) and CPU temp (around 74°C) the performance is really really bad (lagging controls etc, looks like 5fps in a game ), even in the home menu or settings (so I don't think its caused by fanart). Am I the only one with this problem? Changing to e.g. PM3.HD helps, but it's not my fav skin and it still feels not really 'smooth' Sad

thanks!
blubb1 Wrote:hey there, I'm running Alaska along with XBMC 9.11 Beta1 on my MacBook Pro (late '07) under OS X 10.6.2 and I have some serious performance problems. Despite the almost dying fans (around 3500 rpm) and CPU temp (around 74°C) the performance is really really bad (lagging controls etc, looks like 5fps in a game ), even in the home menu or settings (so I don't think its caused by fanart). Am I the only one with this problem? Changing to e.g. PM3.HD helps, but it's not my fav skin and it still feels not really 'smooth' Sad

thanks!

change renderer (settings -> video) to ARB and retest
thanks for your reply, tested all three renderer types, didn't change the laggyness Sad
blubb1 Wrote:thanks for your reply, tested all three renderer types, didn't change the laggyness Sad

ok, the standard drill is post xbmc.log to a pastebin site and post the URL here. You start XBMC, play the suspect video content for 10-15 mins, the exit XBMC. This way the log is clean and only records the issue.
okay, here it is: log I didn't play a video file as already my home menu is lagging like hell Sad As far as I see there is at least not error or warning in the debug log Sad thanks!
blubb1 Wrote:okay, here it is: log I didn't play a video file as already my home menu is lagging like hell Sad As far as I see there is at least not error or warning in the debug log Sad thanks!

Humm, no help there. Is just GUI slow or is video play back also slow?
for both sd and hd material, bicubic is causing a small lagging and noticeable but small audio delay. bilinear and n.n. are fine.
the gui is also lagging at smaller resolutions, running at 1920x1080 at my tv is lagging the same as windowed or fullscreen on my laptop screen (1440) Sad
I've noted a similar problem - on a MacBook. XBMC was a build dated about 1 week prior to 9.11 Beta 1.
I updated to Beta 1, and have now seen, with every video played by XBMC, delayed video.
This applies to HD, SD, DVD isos.

It's not just a delay - it's "slowed" video. It's playing at about 80% of normal speed with dropped frames. If I adjust the audio (which plays at normal speed) so that it is synced, it slowly gets ahead of the video because the video is not playing at a steady rate.

The same videos play just fine in Quicktime and VNC, but I want to use XBMC, of course.

I'll try to post a log soon.
update on this topic: I think it's related to snow leopard. even playing a file with quicktime or vlc results in dropped frames like you said. I even get higher dropping rates if I connect my tv, so I think there is more going on that I can't see Sad
another update:

It's not snow leopard. Even on 10.5.8, I have found that the video lags at least 50% behind the audio.

Interestingly, though, if I pause it, hit esc and return to the episode list, then play it again, it works fine. I have to do it for each video each time I play it. Annoying, but working at least. If I pause and resume without returning to the episode list, it does not fix it.
drewe2000 Wrote:another update:

It's not snow leopard. Even on 10.5.8, I have found that the video lags at least 50% behind the audio.

Interestingly, though, if I pause it, hit esc and return to the episode list, then play it again, it works fine. I have to do it for each video each time I play it. Annoying, but working at least. If I pause and resume without returning to the episode list, it does not fix it.

My major hassle is buffering. When a video file (say a 350mb .avi) is selected it takes a while before anything happens. Then when I do it only plays approximately 30 - 60 seconds of the file before it has to buffer again. Another 30 - 60 seconds, and it has to buffer yet again. This happens constantly through the playback.

I'm going through now and changing settings that I've been able to find on here to see if I can find a fix. Confused
newiedog Wrote:My major hassle is buffering. When a video file (say a 350mb .avi) is selected it takes a while before anything happens. Then when I do it only plays approximately 30 - 60 seconds of the file before it has to buffer again. Another 30 - 60 seconds, and it has to buffer yet again. This happens constantly through the playback.

I'm going through now and changing settings that I've been able to find on here to see if I can find a fix. Confused

Good news. Turning off the Library function has improved things greatly. I also ran a Mac Tuneup for network optimisation and it seemed to increase the cache size on my machine.

Happy days!

Now however, a new issue. All actors having purple and/or green skin! Even after a full machine reboot Shocked
newiedog Wrote:Good news. Turning off the Library function has improved things greatly. I also ran a Mac Tuneup for network optimisation and it seemed to increase the cache size on my machine.

Happy days!

Now however, a new issue. All actors having purple and/or green skin! Even after a full machine reboot Shocked

One of the composite plugs had come loose. Could I be much more a noob No

However, 3 minutes into the playback, the vid becomes stuck. I'm going to go back to my other theme and reverse the changes I made with regards to HD resolution and see if that works any better.

Welcome to my life.
drewe2000 Wrote:another update:
there are some threads concerning snow leopards video playback, e.g. at apple forum. as my video playback in general is laggy, it has to be somehow caused by snow leopard, as 10.5.8 was perfect for vlc, quicktime and xbmc. No
I get the same issues, at first I thought it was lip sync but nothing you do catches the lips with the video, it would appear the video is slow or varying. Fine on appletv.
Pages: 1 2