Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Tearing with "noflip = true"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Does anyone have a solution for the tearing that appears when using "noflip = true" in xorg.conf? With the setting enabled all videos are 100% smooth but then i have problem with tearing. The tearing is only visible on the top of the screen so when playing videos with black bars i can't see it.

If i disable the setting then the tearing is gone but then i have problems with small occasional hickups every 1-2 minutes.

So my options seems to be:
1. tearing + smooth video
or
2. no tearing but video with hickups every 1-2 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to achieve smooth video and no hickups? Smile

I have an Asrock ION 330 with a 24p capable TV. My TV sends the correct EDID information so auto switching to 24p works.
Hi tedh,

Sorry, I have no solution to your query. Just want to add a "me too" to your post (see my previous posts here and here).

Without "noflip = true" I have judder problems, with it tearing (only with 1080p videos and always at the same place of the screen) appears.

I think my hardware is also different as I am running an asus p5n7a-vm motherboard (onboard nvidia GeForce 9300) and 24p capable TV (panasonic plasma).
try to put this on you device section in xorg file

Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "NoRenderExtension" "False"
Option "NoFlip" "False"
Option "UseEdid" "True"
Option "NvAGP" "1"

it's work good for me on my asrock ion 330
put noflip on false, and also put composite=false.

For me at least that enabled things to stay smooth, and no tearing.

I'm also using sync to video - as my TV does not support 24p. This way 23.97fps movies are being played at 25fps, with XBMC then running in 50hz.

Smooth (or at least as smooth as it can be without a 24p mode).
Add this to your xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Also make sure you didn't enable triple buffering.
tedh Wrote:Hi,

Does anyone have a solution for the tearing that appears when using "noflip = true" in xorg.conf? With the setting enabled all videos are 100% smooth but then i have problem with tearing. The tearing is only visible on the top of the screen so when playing videos with black bars i can't see it.

same problem as you, here on my asrock ion 330. at least what did you do to make the tear disappeared? with no-flip "true" 190x1080@24 films are perfectly smooth but with tear in the upscreen (visible only in fullscreen films), anyone knows if there is a solution to this?. tnx
pilluli Wrote:Hi tedh,

Sorry, I have no solution to your query. Just want to add a "me too" to your post (see my previous posts here and here).

Without "noflip = true" I have judder problems, with it tearing (only with 1080p videos and always at the same place of the screen) appears.

I think my hardware is also different as I am running an asus p5n7a-vm motherboard (onboard nvidia GeForce 9300) and 24p capable TV (panasonic plasma).

I see you're running a 64-bit distro. I had the same issue with judder when running on 64-bit Karmic regardless driver version and settings. I'm positive you will not see the same judder if you try the xbmc-livecd.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the issue is gone in Lucid.
JumJum Wrote:I see you're running a 64-bit distro. I had the same issue with judder when running on 64-bit Karmic regardless driver version and settings. I'm positive you will not see the same judder if you try the xbmc-livecd.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the issue is gone in Lucid.

HI! i have the same exact problem with little judder without flip activated, but i have karmic 32 not 64 bit, last days i've tested lucid beta, but there was a problem with the automount of usb ext drives formatted in ntfs, so i've been returned to karmic.