Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Definitive answer please: Can the Revo support 5.1?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been reading old threads here that discuss the Aspire Revo + XBMC Live and it's ability to play 5.1 audio through HDMI. Is this possible? It would really be a shame if it couldn't as I expected this to be a full media center solution

I can't seem to find an answer. And while we're on the subject, can the Revo also output 7.2 audio through HDMI?

Are these things enabled by default? A lot of people seemed to have problems with this in old threads but I'm hoping that maybe it was only a problem with old XBMC releases.

Thanks for the help.
Yes, this is possible. I'm using the Acer Aspire Revo myself and im enjoying DD5.1 and DTS thru HDMI.
This is great news. Can anyone else confirm this setup?

What settings are you using? Was it hard to configure?
Not hard to configure at all. I installed XBMC Live by using a USB flash drive. You can find that guide on this forum somewhere im sure.

It pretty much worked out of the box, to be honest with you. Only thing i had to do was put "hdmi" as audio output and throughput in the audio options.
Having just ordered and built 10 Revo 1600's I can tell you it absolutely can do 5.1 (and I suspect 7.1 but didn't try this) via HDMI.

The caveat I'll give you is another issue I bumped into that has nothing to do with the Revo - if you go XBMC -->TV-->Receiver like I am (my receiver doesn't have HDMI so I'm using the optical toslink on my TV), then you'll have issues with getting DD / DTS.
deepblue Wrote:Having just ordered and built 10 Revo 1600's I can tell you it absolutely can do 5.1 (and I suspect 7.1 but didn't try this) via HDMI.

The caveat I'll give you is another issue I bumped into that has nothing to do with the Revo - if you go XBMC -->TV-->Receiver like I am (my receiver doesn't have HDMI so I'm using the optical toslink on my TV), then you'll have issues with getting DD / DTS.

Thanks for the info. Could you possibly rephrase what you mean by XBMC --> TV --> Receiver? Do you mean connecting the revo to the tv an then connecting the TV to the receiver? Or do you mean that if I use toslink I won't get 5.1?

On another note, how does the revo do toslink? Do you use an adapter on the 3.5 mm audio out? And you're saying you don't get 5.1 through this method but only with HDMI?

Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.
monmon_4 Wrote:Sorry, I'm just a bit confused.

well, that's obvious, as deepblue quite clearly described the setup and there's no need to go into that again.
for direct toslink (optical), many users before were able to get 5.1 via cheap USB adapters.
the only thing that is still missing is TrueHD and DTS-HD bitstreaming through HDMI, but AFAIK the ALSA guys are hard at work on this.
Is there any info on when ALSA plans to release support?

It sounds like the revo is living up to expectations.