Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Prevent user from changing settings etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to set up XBMC so my daughter has access to only her kids films/tv.

I know you can create a 2nd profile and have different content sources, which is great, but can you stop that user from being able to access/change settings, shutdown XBMC etc etc?

I know the skins let you hide settings on the main screen, but often in a skin there are other ways to get in there. I wouldn't want my daughter to be able to do anything but look in the library and play a movie.....

Is that at all possible? Cheers in advance...

Justin
yes on settings, no on shutdown. just enable the master lock and you have lock settings per profile.
Yeah just had a play around with the locking and it seems to cover most things as you say, which is great. Can't get into settings even from the context menu of a movie, and can't do anything like change fanart etc.

Shame about the shutdown/exit options etc. Really wouldn't want her to close XBMC and be left looking at a desktop.

Is it on the list of things to look at, or should I raise a trac for it?

Justin
Oh the other thing is that I seem to have to enter the master lock code to actually log into both the master profile and my daughters.

Is it possible to set it so you don't need the code to actually log in, but then do still need it to change things?

Justin
yes. atleast it used to. things have changed and i'm not updated so i can't tell you where the option is these days though.

as for shutdown etc, not a priority of anyone is my guess. a patch to do it would be welcome.
Ok thanks mate. The other thing I've noticed is that if you give access to Movies than that also gives access to File mode. Would be nice if you could restrict access to just Library mode or something.

Anyway I'll carry on playing around. I can probably create a hacked version of my skin that her account loads that removes lots of options or something....

Cheers,

Justin