Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Custom subtitle directory problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am having some problems with MicroDVD format subtitles in the custom subtitle directory. I'll do my best to explain my situation:
  • I am using the latest XBMC 9.11 Beta1 on Linux (Asus EB1012 Ion PC). I assume this problem is not Linux-specific, however I currently don't have possibility to test on another OS.

• I have defined a "custom subtitle directory" (samba share) in xbmc configuration. This particular feature is one of the things that make xbmc the perfect media center for me. I have MicroDVD (.sub) format subtitles here.

The custom subtitles directory works perfect if I don't have any additional subtitles in my movie's folder. XBMC correctly loads the .sub from the samba share. Example which works fine:

movieA/movieA.avi
movieA.sub (in custom subtitles directory)

Problems occur when there are vobsub subtitles included with the movie (.idx/.rar->sub). Example where the custom subtitle directory does not work:

movieB/movieB.avi
movieB/Subs/movieB-subs.rar -> movieB.rar(sub), movieB.idx
movieB.sub (in custom subtitles directory)

• In example B, xbmc automatically uses the idx/sub subtitles (I can change the sub in the menu during playback). The .sub subtitle from the custom directory is not loaded at all (isn't available as an option in the menu).

• I also cannot make the MicroDVD (.sub) subtitle work if I select it manually during playback. XBMC allows me to select the subtitle fine, but nothing is nevertheless rendered on screen. The language options menu doesn't show the new subtitle as option after manual subtitle selection.

• This problem only occurs with MicroDVD format subtitles which have the .sub extension. This might be related to the fact that the vobsub subtitle has the same filename as the MicroDVD subtitle. If I have a .srt subtitle in custom dir, everything works perfect.

• It seems that recently the "Search for subtitles in RAR files" configuration option is gone and subs are always searched automatically. Is there still some manual way to disable RAR subtitle searching? I would not like to just delete the subs that come with the movie, I might still need them at some point.

To sum it up, I currently have two workarounds. 1) To delete the vobsub-subtitles from the movie folder. 2) To convert the custom MicroDVD(.sub) subtitles to Subrip(.srt) format.

I happily welcome all comments & suggestions and can provide further information if needed.

// j