Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [XBOX] advanced Network settings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Board. (Using T3CH's 9.11 Alpha1)

I tried to google but wasn't able to locate..
How to "Tweak" network settings/buffers? Advancedsettings did not help for MTU (1500 default?).
The problem in stuttering .iso stream from SMB share Device (DS409).

Case:
All devices are behind DGS-1008D router.
If NAS is at 1Gbit/sec speed Xbmc's .iso stream from it get 1sec chunks to play. 1 sec play, 1sec pause.. stuttering.
If NAS is forced to 100Mbit/sec there is no problem, ever has been.

I know that the Router is NOT performing good (hammer 1G>100), but is there any tweaks in xmbc? MTU to 9k?
Nope you can't....
shame, but understood due to the fact that it's not for all users to expose..

but where are video/audio bufferSettings these days? gone because of automatic feature?

I noticed that with low (512kb/256kb) DVD LAN buffer fast moving scenes were more fluent than with eg. 4MB cache..
No the cache settings were moved into AdvancedSettings because they were "confusing".
ok, but http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=AdvancedSettings.xml did not say anything about cache in this context. Smile
Correct, since it's a disabled "GUI-setting". I believe you can also find them in GUISettings.xml, not sure though. Need to think about documenting this somehow....
arnova Wrote:Correct, since it's a disabled "GUI-setting". I believe you can also find them in GUISettings.xml, not sure though. Need to think about documenting this somehow....

ok, I'll try to look into this. So MTU (Jumbo Frame 9k) is not supported in Xbox's XBMC?Rolleyes
Given its not a gigabit interface on the xbox, no.

More important question is what are you trying to achieve with jumbo frames and what benefit do you think you will get by using them.
prae5 Wrote:More important question is what are you trying to achieve with jumbo frames and what benefit do you think you will get by using them.

well.. CPU utilization is lower and throughput is increased. Cache Settings to 16MB did not work, so I really need to get a better GBit switch (Dlinks Sucks!). NAS is Gbit (like other devices on my LAN) so naturally the Switch needs to hammer G>100Mb but is stutters like hell.. NAS is now connected to 100MB switch. Sad
realjobe Wrote:well.. CPU utilization is lower and throughput is increased. Cache Settings to 16MB did not work, so I really need to get a better GBit switch (Dlinks Sucks!). NAS is Gbit (like other devices on my LAN) so naturally the Switch needs to hammer G>100Mb but is stutters like hell.. NAS is now connected to 100MB switch. Sad

That makes almost no sense at all Wink

Gigabit != jumbo.

You *can* use jumbo frames in a mixed capability environment, provided you use proper MTU/MSS settings. This will mitigate TCP problems. You will, however, still have issues with UDP.

Jumbo frames are seldom needed any more on typical networks. In that past they were useful on slower machines (p3's or older) on machines that were under high load and it could reduce some of the load needed by the machine when handling a gige interface.

However on modern hardware and networks there is very seldom a need to use them. In fact in most situations i would recommend not using them. CPU starved machines can see benefit but from what you are talking about this isn't relevant (10Gb hosts now often need jumbo frames, but most machines can fill 1Gb w/o exhausting CPU even if the NIC doesn't offload).

Anyway that is all irrelevant, remember gigabit does not require or need jumbo frames to operate well.

Disable jumbo frames on everything and start from scratch and build from there.
prae5 Wrote:Disable jumbo frames on everything and start from scratch and build from there.

Thanx for the answer. MTU is default 1,5k. Smile