Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: no realistic image HD -> HDMI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello.
I connect AsRock 330 via HDMI to LCT TV 42" (LG 42SL8500).
I tried several modes: 1092x1080 (60 50 24 Hz).
TV give info about HDMI input 1080p or 1092x1080 (60,50,24Hz).
XBMC uses VDPAU for output.

When I play HD movie 720p or 1080p (H264) there are no realistic-dynamic image. Image is flat as generic DVD rip. CPU load about 20%.

My LCD TV have USB input. Copy same film to USB flash drive, plug into TV usb. Ask to play same movie. In this mode all movie scenes are dynamic, realistic and 3D.

HDMI cable length is 1.8m.

I spend two days but I still can't figure out howto make realistic movie image under Linux.
Realistic Movie Image? Is that some sort of post-processing of the image, performed by your TV?
¿what is your tv info while playing from usb? Are you sure you are playing your video at 24fps from the usb.

I am just guessing, but you could be using 100 Hz (aka 100fps), or even 200Hz, depending on your TV. If you play a 24fps film at 100Hz the TV simply guesses 3 out of 4 pictures, plus introduce a slight judder. Some people call it dynamic viewing, some call it artifacts.

I also guess that you are watching rips, with compressed bitrates (just by the fact that you can play them directly on your tv) although I might be wrong. Try a full Blue Ray (BDRemux or m2ts).

There is no reason why you should not get perfect 24 fps images on you tv, and enjoy the films the way they were shot. I do with my asrock

Anyhow, you are the only one to define your watching preferences. And that is what XBMC allows you, to choose your own preferences.
horserider Wrote:¿what is your tv info while playing from usb? Are you sure you are playing your video at 24fps from the usb.

I am just guessing, but you could be using 100 Hz (aka 100fps), or even 200Hz, depending on your TV. If you play a 24fps film at 100Hz the TV simply guesses 3 out of 4 pictures, plus introduce a slight judder. Some people call it dynamic viewing, some call it artifacts.

I also guess that you are watching rips, with compressed bitrates (just by the fact that you can play them directly on your tv) although I might be wrong. Try a full Blue Ray (BDRemux or m2ts).

There is no reason why you should not get perfect 24 fps images on you tv, and enjoy the films the way they were shot. I do with my asrock

Anyhow, you are the only one to define your watching preferences. And that is what XBMC allows you, to choose your own preferences.

My LCD TV running at 200Hz. You are right that TV simply guesses 3 out of 4 pictures. Howto deliver to TV 200fps from AsRock?

>> what is your tv info while playing from usb?
TV show codec name: h.264 and current movie resolution 1280x720

HDMI wire length is 1.8m cost 10$. Maybe buy more expensive cable ?
I am not sure how to help you, or even if its possible. I have deactivated all 100Hz, dynamic contrast, etc on my own TV. I prefer to watch the film the way it was designed to show on theater. But as I said, if you prefer to watch it differently, it is your choice (as good as mine).

200 Hz is not a direct multiplier of 24. It is of 50Hz. The 200HZ efect could work very well on TV or recorded TV. I am not sure about 24 Hz.

I would advice to try a full blu ray file. Extract if from any BDdisk. Is the largest m2ts file in the STREAM folder. Try that and see if you like that. This kind of file is where you get the best of your HTPC.

For 720p files or files with low bitrate, you can play them from you USB.

Alternatively, there are people that play 24p at 50Hz. Try that, and see if your TV support your desired effects over 50HZ.

Enjoy
You will find most people here are in the "videophile" category of sorts and prefer to keep everything as realistic as possible. All of my TVs post processing is turned off and the TV was professionally calibrated. It looks dark, flat, and relatively discolored compared to stock TVs. However, when you watch a movie on it you can see everything since the blacks aren't too black, the brights aren't too bright (IE dynamic), and whites are white instead of red or blue.

If XBMC is pumping out 24hz signals to your TV (as you want, assuming your TV supports it natively which I doubt since it's a 200hz set) your TV will still be doing it at 200hz. It has no other choice.

Your TV probably has settings for each input type... so you can make the USB match the HDMI connection.