Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: PQ Tweaks for Software Decoding ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
try as I may - I can't get software decoding quality to look as good as hardware decoding

comparing the following (same video content)

Original MPEG2
Re-encoded H264 version

the MPEG2 is decoded by "software", and the H264 is decoded by VDPAU

the H264 version - even though has been re-encoded - which is lossly - looks better, colours seem smoother, I seem to get less jaggies (jaggies seem obvious in software mode on some titles etc), and as you can use the VDPAU post-processing (subtle noise and sharpening) - overall the PQ is better.

what were the technical reasons for making the decision to exclude MPEG2 from VDPAU please ? I've read on here that there is no need, and whilst that is true from a CPU perspective (only 40% loading or so with MPEG2 even when upscaling), from a PQ perspective I think VDPAU looks better.

in software mode I've tried de-interlacing on/off, various modes and makes no improvement.

is it possible that the VDPAU decoding also includes stages of the decoding process that the software decoder doesn't ? (I'm thinking de-telecining, pull-down etc)

thanks, Buckster