Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xnest Xserver to get HD ready LCD working w/o overscan?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I tried another install of Ubuntu in preparation for XBMC finally.
I again ran into the old problem that I don't find a way to get my LCD working with 1:1 pixelmapping.

I'm pretty sure that I will never find a way to work around my TV behaviour since it is actually not designed to work in the manner I'd like it.

Ubuntu is starting with 1920x1080 pixel, but the TV has 1366x786 px "real" resolution.
I cannot see the borders of my desktop, so the Gnome panel etc is not visible due to a bunch of overscan.

Has anyone tried to set up the Xnest X11 server ? - It seems that this "X server in a X server" can be defined in customized sizes.

I'm wondering that my search in this forum did not find anything when looking for "Xnest"?! - Did noone consider it yet? - Or is it obviously not a good approach that it was never considered in discussions?

Does someone know whether things like VDPAU would work in the Xnest window only, or will they automatically work only on the original X window?

A bunch of questions at the moment. Does one of you have some ideas?

Regards,
Marcus
Try to upgrade to the latest Nvidia beta driver (195.22 atm) if it supports your gpu (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux_dis...22_uk.html

195.22's nvidia-settings has a function "Overscan Compensation" which helped me to solve similar problem.
I highly doubt Xnesting is a good idea for anything hardware intensive.
jms-xbmc Wrote:Try to upgrade to the latest Nvidia beta driver (195.22 atm) if it supports your gpu (http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux_dis...22_uk.html

195.22's nvidia-settings has a function "Overscan Compensation" which helped me to solve similar problem.

I have read somewhere that this doesn't effect the HDMI output. Can you confirm or reject this?
I have managed successfully to get overscan to work on Acer Revo aspire using Nvidia drivers through HDMI.

In short:

1. make sure you have nvidia drivers installed. Nvidia has a ppa that you can setup as a package repository and then just install Nvidia packages.

2. use the Nvidia configuration app from the settings menu to setup the correct over / underscan. It's under one of the menus, and works for HDMI output as well.

3. Save the the nvidia settings file to ~/.nvidia-settings-rc. make sure to chown it and chmod +r it.

4. add "nvidia-settings --load-config-only &" to your xinitrc file, depending on how your X config is setup. More info here:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/nvidia-settings

This will make sure the nvidia configuration is loaded when X is loaded.

Sorry about being a bit short here as don't have a lot of time to write a full guide.

Hope this helps.
arielgr Wrote:I have managed successfully to get overscan to work on Acer Revo aspire using Nvidia drivers through HDMI.

In short:

1. make sure you have nvidia drivers installed. Nvidia has a ppa that you can setup as a package repository and then just install Nvidia packages.

2. use the Nvidia configuration app from the settings menu to setup the correct over / underscan. It's under one of the menus, and works for HDMI output as well.

3. Save the the nvidia settings file to ~/.nvidia-settings-rc. make sure to chown it and chmod +r it.

4. add "nvidia-settings --load-config-only &" to your xinitrc file, depending on how your X config is setup. More info here:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/nvidia-settings

This will make sure the nvidia configuration is loaded when X is loaded.

Sorry about being a bit short here as don't have a lot of time to write a full guide.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the guide. I finally got rid of the overscan Smile
Glad to help. Wink
arielgr Wrote:1. make sure you have nvidia drivers installed. Nvidia has a ppa that you can setup as a package repository and then just install Nvidia packages.

how exactly do I do this?