Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW TO: Eliminate IR interference that causes remotes to freeze or hang
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For reference, here is my setup:
Samsung LN46A530 LCD
Asrock ION 330
Harmony 520 setup as KLS VDR
XBMC Live 9.11b2
HP USB IR receiver from ELCShop on ebay

Problem: IR Receiver shows a steady red light and is unresponsive to commands in XBMC, typically happens in dark scenes, like end credits of a movie or when the screensaver activates and is set to "Dim".

The interference apparently originates from the LCD panel itself and is caused by the backlight, not sure of the exact science behind it but when the panel dims it seems to create excessive noise the causes interference in remotes, mostly PVR/VDR remotes and components.

Solution(s):
1. On my TV, disabling "Dynamic Contrast" seems to have eliminated the interference. I have also read reports where disabling the "energy saving" option has also worked.

2. You can also bump up your "Back Light" option on your tv, although with my system I had to bump it up to 10 (the max) to eliminate the problem completely.

3. Some people have reported positive results with shielding their receivers with different materials, some examples are:
-masking tape
-printer paper
-old sunglass lenses
-electrical tape to cover most of the sensor

You can try other materials to find the solution that works best for you.

4. Sometimes all it takes is moving the receiver further away from your TV or even changing the angle of the receiver (or both).

Solution 1 is the one that is working best for me so far, you may have to alter other settings on your tv to compensate for the loss of the dynamic contrast but that was acceptalbe to me.

Hope this helps others, feel free to add other solutions and setups to the thread.
Re-installed and setup as MCE remote and the issue seems to be gone. seems to only affect the receiver when setup as a KLS VDR.