Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with PCI Video Card (8400 GS) - How to configure XBMC Live?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Now that I have my Revo working tip top, I took my old dual Xeon server and dropped in a PCI Nvidia 8400 GS in hopes that I can get it to process 1080p as nicely as my Revo for a separate media setup I have.

I've installed the PCI Card (note this is PCI, NOT PCI Express) into the machine, and the first thing that I noticed is that the display blacks out after the post screen (i.e. it is not possible to see the Bios or initial loading screen for the old Windows installation I had). Using VNC I managed to get in and tell Windows about the new PCI card, activate it, and voila, works perfectly.

So - I threw in XBMC Live and rebooted, and all I see now is the Post Screen, and then "Loading Stage 2....", then Black screen that never reappears.

I did a little searching and read something about "blacklisting agpgart", but I am not sure if that's required here given I don't have an onboard video card (I do, however, have an empty AGP slot since pulling the old card).

Can someone give me some pointers on how I can tell XBMC Live to utilize the PCI Video Card? I tried putting the AGP card back in (with the PCI card still inside) and XBMC is working fine via the AGP card - but is showing nothing out of the PCI card.

I suppose I'm looking for how you tell Linux to use a specific display device over another - do I need to mess with xorg.conf?

I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks.

PS - I can't see anything in the BIOS to tell it to utilize a PCI video card vs. AGP.
X shouldn't have any problem finding the PCI card automatically. Run a "grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log" and post the output here with a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Thanks pashdown - will post this once I get home. For reference, my xorg.conf should be "vanilla", as I haven't modified it since installation.
I ran the command you specified (forgive me, as a Linux newb I'm no better than a script kiddie), it outputted this:

Code:
[email protected]:~# grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(II) Loading extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER

I grabbed the log and pasted it here:
http://pastebin.com/f5de7cc9

You can clearly see that there are two Nvidia devices:

Code:
#
--) PCI:*(0:1:0:0) 10de:0221:1043:81c7 nVidia Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] rev 161, Mem @ 0xfb000000/16777216, 0xe0000000/268435456, 0xfa000000/16777216, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
#
(--) PCI: (0:6:0:0) 10de:06e4:3842:b724 nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] rev 161, Mem @ 0xf8000000/16777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xf6000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x0000dc80/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072

And further down I can actually see that Linux is using the AGP card as the primary device:

Code:
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  190.42  Tue Oct 20 20:26:00 PDT 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI [email protected]:00:0

My xorg.conf:
http://pastebin.com/f5b60f977

Any direction on how I can specify that the other PCI device should be used as opposed to the one in the AGP slot?

Thanks.
deepblue Wrote:Any direction on how I can specify that the other PCI device should be used as opposed to the one in the AGP slot?

Thanks.

Specify the BusID under the driver section. Here is some documentation. Here is an example.
Thanks pashdown - I ended up finding this myself on a random linux forum and getting it to mostly work (I still can't get it to show the BIOS - but I think that is likely a bios related issue). I also can't seem to boot into XBMC without having both the AGP card and PCI card present at once. Neither of these are really a big deal at the end of the day.

Thanks again for the help.