Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Multiple instances of XBMC to enable my vision
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Is it possible to launch multiple instances of XBMC, I've tried it and it does not seem possible by default.

What I would like to do is to use my HTPC on multiple TVs. I have a quad core AMD, 8Gb of DDR3 and a 15K drive, so I think that I have enough power to run multiple instances of XBMC. My intent is to add another video card to my machine and force instance 1 of XBMC to go to video card 1 and instance 2 to video card 2 (there are topics on this). My plan is then to use the Harmony remote with RF to launch either instance 1 or instance 2 (there are topics on this as well).

But my first step to this great vision is to launch multiple instances Smile

Thanks a lot for your help
currently there's some lame ass hack to only allow one instance running (i objected). apparently it's expected in windows/osx or something. linux is not affect luckily
so you are saying that if I switch to Linux then I will be able to do what I want? I happen to run Windows unfortunately... I tried Linux orignially but got all bunch of driver issues I gave up and used XP...

And there is no lame ass hack to bypass the lame ass hack that prevent multiple instances? Smile
Do you know why it was enforced ?
As anyone been able to run multiple instances of xbmc on linux ? I was about to format my drive but would hate if I would end up with the same single instance after a reinstall...
i periodically notice 4-5 xbmc's running while developing Wink trust me - it works! Smile
cmonpellier Wrote:As anyone been able to run multiple instances of xbmc on linux ?

just tried it...and yes, you can launch multiple instances of xbmc on linux.
ok I guess I am on my way to reinstall the OS. Too bad there is no flag to allow this on Windows.
cmonpellier Wrote:ok I guess I am on my way to reinstall the OS. Too bad there is no flag to allow this on Windows.

Guess what, the request for one instance came from ... tata .. the users. I really didn't need it either.
To be fair on the good old users though for every person that has a need for multi copy running there are countless more that will not want it.

Stating the obvious perhaps Big Grin
Curious to discover how good the multiple instances works sharing the same database... can't help but feel disaster in the making if you happen to scrape on more than one instance.

There are loads of tools for windows that will allow multiple instances of a singleton app.
I suspect the request for single instance comes from most users... because they have some button on their remote to launch XBMC and all hell breaks loose if the button gets pressed twice.

It might be argued that a command line switch would be nice e.g. /newinstance to force XBMC to launch a new instance. Default should be single instance to protect the innocent (casual user) who would ask "what's a command line?"
That's fair.

"There are loads of tools for windows that will allow multiple instances of a singleton app."
-> Would you happen to know one of hand?

Is it using the process name or the windows title? I guess I could try to rename the process and see which one it is.
Any progress on this? I'm also interested in running multiple instances of XBMC. Linux would be best for me.

The questions I have are in regards to video card. If I have a video card with multiple HDMI ports. Can I output multiple instances to different screens still? how would this impact video accelerated decoding?

-nate
Any idea of how this would work with multiple control. For example, I would control my screens using the web api's. would I be able to launch an instance of xbmc and define what port to use for that instance?

or even better yet. using multiple profiles. Can I define which profile to use at launch? does the profile describe which port to use?

-nate
i made 4 users for 4 copies of xbmc that i plan on outputting to 4 different HDTVs, eventually. i'm running windows 7 on a test rig that only has 1 video card, the real setup will consist of 4. uac is totally off.

seems i am stuck at opening multiple instances of xbmc.

edited because i'm giving up and just getting seperate hardware, nettop boxes, searched and they said ion2's were the good ones to get. makes sense to have video inputs independently at each tv as well as sharing network storage. also to share media at each room would be nice, perhaps there is a plugin that will stream from one to all.
Works in xp using multiple users, I had no luck with windows 7.
I'm considering changing to linux though to help reduce overhead.
FYI;
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125780&page=2
Pages: 1 2