Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External USB hard disk doesn't automount
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm using XBMC SVN (from PPA) on Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64. My external USB hard disks fail to automount with XBMC (standalone mode), whereas USB thumb drives mount just fine. A quick look at the debug log shows that the disks are being recognized as non-removable, and that's why XBMC doesn't even try to mount them:

Code:
10:33:53 T:140574671702080 M:1359179776   DEBUG: DeviceKit.Disks: Is not able to mount DeviceUDI /org/freedesktop/DeviceKit/Disks/devices/sdb1: HasFileSystem ntfs IsMounted false IsRemovable false IsPartition true

Is there any workaround to force XBMC to mount USB drives that are not flagged as "removable" by the system? After all, GNOME mounts them correctly when I plug them in. Perhaps GNOME's automounter ignores the IsRemovable flag? If so, then probably XBMC should have an option to ignore it as well. Any ideas?
up! no hints?
Hmm, tbh I find it weird that devicekit flags usbdrives as non-removable. I guess its a big disk your trying to mount right? like 50gb or more?

I unfortuanatly don't have any way of testing it but I'd love more people to say if the see the same issue, with logs and such.

After camelot I'll put some more interesting logging and we'll see if we can get some more sense out of this.

Cheers,
Tobias.
Yes, they're large disks. One is a 250 GB unit (sealed case, the disk is not replaceable), while the other is an external USB enclosure with a 500 GB disk in it.
pastebin the output of devkit-disks --show-info for the device and all of its partitions.
althekiller, these are logs for the disk (sdb) and partition (sdb1) devices:

output of devkit-disks --show-info /dev/sdb
output of devkit-disks --show-info /dev/sdb1

I get similar results with other USB hard disks (I've tested a total of four different disks). None of them mount automatically in XBMC, whereas they are correctly recognized and mounted by GNOME. Perhaps XBMC should take into consideration device flags other than "removable"? Maybe "detachable"? I'm no expert, just trying to guess...
Hi, i am having the same problem, i am not at the pc at the moment so no traces available, but it is the same issue, has there been any fix yet?
You could try using the guide I posted here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=66534

Though I guess this only works if the drive is permanently plugged in. If you plan to run XBMC without the drive plugged in and you have followed my How To, /etc/fstab with throw errors during boot and you will (usually) be dumped to a "Recover Console" (though pressing CTRL D or Esc will bypass this and boot will continue as normal).
i have done a couple of scripts to fix this auotmount problem for live 9.11 if anyone want them just let me know
@Andy: I'm interested!

Thanks in advance!
works fine with Live 9.11 Camelot Repack, but not with latest PPA

debug log: http://pastebin.com/m7e8b76c3
HaZee Wrote:@Andy: I'm interested!

Thanks in advance!

i am working on a complete XBMCLive configure script for the AsRock just bare with me. it all done now i just need to do a clean install to test it so it does not messup your systems.

i will post a new thread once done.
i'm interested in getting those scripts from you too, andy :-D
ok, this has fixed USB automount for me:

Code:
sudo nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla

enter following:

Code:
[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.devicekit.disks.*;org.freedesktop.devicekit.power.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*
ResultActive=yes
ResultAny=auth_admin
ResultInactive=yes

and save Nod
Pages: 1 2