Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Issues with toslink output using XBOX 1
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not sure if this is related to my wiring, DAC or XBMC itself but I figured i'd post here to share my findings.

I am running XBMC on my xbox 1, with 480p component video output and audio via a toslink cable to my external DAC. Whenever I go through XBMC's menus (making a click noise) my DAC's signal error light comes on for a second. Playing music and video it is fine, but if I use XBMC's volume control I also induce an error/distorted signal to the DAC aswell (it does not show this at all with any other devices).

I originally thought this was a simple wiring problem, so I have changed both the toslink cable and HD component/optical lead. Each configuration is showing the same problem (I've also tried another XBOX and a fresh install of XBMC).

The strange thing about this problem is, if I use an old composite+optical break out box (the kind which you wire the video/audio yourself). I do not get the same issue with optical output (any volume level or format from XBMC goes to the DAC fine). This is very odd, the only thing I can think is that the breakout box has a better implemented toslink output? Since it is PCB mounted on a board it may be more stable or buffered somehow? Still, from my experience it seems to be far more stable if you use the optical output than on the version 2 (cabled) HD pack.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? These cables I have used have all been 3rd party (Sintech and Konig for the cabled component/optical and a "play on" break out box). I am currently awaiting an official MS HD set (the cabled version) to see if I get the same problem.
sorry mods, just noticed that you have a different forum for each platform. Can you move my post to the xbox subsection please?
Official MS HD Cable (version 2) has arrived... Still showing the same problem Rolleyes

Does anyone know why the newer cabled A/V leads cause these toslink/optical errors (tried 3 cable sets, both official and non-official), where as the older 3rd party breakout box is completely stable??