Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Installing XBMC and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) desktop on Acer Aspire Revo 3610
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

Acer Aspire Revo 3610 ?!
The Acer Aspire Revo is a nettop computer based on the Nvidia ION platform. The 3610 is different from the 3600 as it adds an SPDIF optical output. This makes it perfect for a dedicated XBMC use.
Note that the computer comes charged with 2Go RAM, Windows 7 Home Premium and lacks opticial drive (CD/DVD/BD).

Why Ubuntu desktop version ?
You may be aware that the interesting thing about ION is the video hardware acceleration it provides. Regarding XBMC today, only the Linux version enables it.
I found it also quite sad to buy that 300€ computer and not install a desktop environnement to enjoy the its use on my 40" LCD !

What are the goals of that thread?
Describe the steps to install Ubuntu and XBMC, and tune it.
Get a working optical output for AC3/DTS passthrough and PCM, perfect SD and HD video playback.
I will not go in to many details as many how-tos and threads exists that already do.

I was helped by those threads to realise that :
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53812
http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53888
http://flx.me/xbmscript/

Let's go !!
XBMC release used is XBMC 9.11 RC1

Step 1 : Bios Settings
- increase the video memory up to 512 Mo (not sure it's usefull ...)
- set the boot devices to start with USB, then HD

Step 2 : Windows 7
The Revo comes charged with Windows 7 and for an unknown reason, it uses the 4 principal partitions available on the HD.
If you want to install Ubuntu on a partition (my choice), you'll have to delete the last partition named "Data" or something close. No problem, it's empty !

Step 3 : Install Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop
- download the ISO
- use unetbootin to put it on a USB flash disk
- you should have made some room on the disk to install to a new partition (cf. previous step)
- boot ubuntu with the flash disk and install (the user created during install should be named "xbmc"). The boot selector "Grub" will be installed (it auto selects Ubuntu at boot time if no there is input during 10s)

Step 4 : install XBMC and Nvidia drivers
cf. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_insta...ep-by-step
- once booted on your brand new Ubuntu, run this to install current xbmc release :
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get install xbmc
     sudo apt-get update
- ubuntu should propose you automatically to install the Nvidia drivers

Step 5 : tuning
- you need to disable the interface sounds in Ubuntu. A problem exists with PulseAudio (Ubuntu component) preventing passthrough to work correctly.
- follow that walkthrough and save that file as ~/.asoundrc. This sets up the sound mixer to redirect sound to SPDIF and HDMI.
- unmute the two iec958 channels using alsamixer : launch alsamixer, navigate to the "IEC958" column using arrow keys and press "m" ("00" is unmute / "mm" is mute). The first IEC958 is for SPDIF, the second one for HDMI (don't know what is the use of "IEC958 Default PCM").
Code:
┌──────────────────[AlsaMixer v1.0.20 (Press Escape to quit)]──────────────────┐
│ Card: HDA NVidia                                                             │
│ Chip: Nvidia MCP7A HDMI                                                      │
│ View: [Playback] Capture  All                                                │
│ Item: IEC958                                                                 │
│                                                                              │
│    ┌──┐     ┌──┐      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │  │     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │  │     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 >
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 >
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    │▒▒│     │▒▒│      │▒▒│     │  │     │  │                                 │
│    ├──┤     └──┘      ├──┤     ├──┤     └──┘      ┌──┐     ┌──┐     ┌──┐     │
│    │OO│               │OO│     │MM│               │[color=red]OO[/color]│     │MM│     │[color=red]OO[/color]│     │
│    └──┘               └──┘     └──┘               └──┘     └──┘     └──┘     │
│     91    100<>100   81<>81    0<>0     0<>0                                 │
│   Master    PCM      Front     Mic    Mic Boos < IEC958 >IEC958 D IEC958 1   │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
- in XBMC audio setup, define output and passthrough as "custom" named "plug:both" ; and "downmix multichannel audio to stereo" to off
- in XBMC video setup, set "render" to "VDPAU"
- you also need to tune the xorg.conf to get appropriate modelines setup. Back up yout xorg.conf and rebuild one :
Code:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup.originalsetup
sudo nvidia-xconfig
and then add the missing lines from that one

Step 6 : other ...
- remote desktop : if you enable remote desktop, please note that a bug makes it unusable. The workaround is to use x11vnc with noxdamage option and connect to "xbmc_pc:1" instead of "xbmc_pc" (exemple : x11vnc -usepw -forever -noxdamage -scale 4/5 -avahi -timeout 60 -nolookup -q)

... done ! Cool

Conclusion
I will upgrade this post until I'm satisfied with the result.
The following links concerns the bugs/features requests I've ran into when using XBMC or Ubuntu :
- no ac3 passthrough on .ac3 files in audio player
- Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org prior to release 7.5
- [Patch] Realtime AC3 encoding to non encoded output
- AC3/DTS Passthrough does not work anymore
Thanks for posting this - I'm going to try this out with my 3610 as I'm looking for a desktop experience also.
Ditto, Thank you - you can never have too many guides! Big Grin
I have installed ubuntu 9.10 and xbmc 9.11 RC1 on my asrock ion 330.
Works good with 1080p movies and so. I just have some problems with vertical jagging. I didn't have that in win7 with all codecs in wmp12.

My resolution is 1280x1024 in the xorg.conf
Option "metamodes" "1280x1024 +0+0"
under "screen" but when I restart gdm or reboot computer it goes back to full resolution for the lcd...

Another annoying thing in ubuntu is that the sound clicks then and then...

Any ideas?
Hi zeezam!
Is the vertical "jagging" with *.mkv files?
If Yes, I have the same problem, and I have tested a LOT of things and tips from threads in the forum.
Does anyone have a tip?
ZOTAC, Ion Mini-itx A, Ubuntu Karmic, Nvidia Drivers 190.53, XBMC 9.11 Camelot.
panosdl Wrote:Hi zeezam!
Is the vertical "jagging" with *.mkv files?
If Yes, I have the same problem, and I have tested a LOT of things and tips from threads in the forum.
Does anyone have a tip?
ZOTAC, Ion Mini-itx A, Ubuntu Karmic, Nvidia Drivers 190.53, XBMC 9.11 Camelot.

Yes, it's only with *.mkv.
I have the same setup but with nvidia 185 drivers.

Is it a xorg.conf setting, driver setting or xbmc specific?
zeezam Wrote:I have installed ubuntu 9.10 and xbmc 9.11 RC1 on my asrock ion 330.
Works good with 1080p movies and so. I just have some problems with vertical jagging. I didn't have that in win7 with all codecs in wmp12.

I have noticed that problem when my screen setup wasn't at 60hz.
Setting it at 1080p 60hz on my LCD TV solved the problem. Also note that you shouldn't use the "automatic adjust screen refresh rate" option ! Wink
I get no audio via HDMI. I do notice however, that the optical port is illuminated. I'm using Karmic. I'm new to Ubuntu and your guide isn't exactly noob friendly.
DaCake Wrote:I have noticed that problem when my screen setup wasn't at 60hz.
Setting it at 1080p 60hz on my LCD TV solved the problem. Also note that you shouldn't use the "automatic adjust screen refresh rate" option ! Wink

All right, is that an xorg.conf setting?
I can't get any specs for my LCD (Sharp LC-42XDIE).
zeezam Wrote:All right, is that an xorg.conf setting?
I can't get any specs for my LCD (Sharp LC-42XDIE).

Try something like that to reinit your xorg.conf :
Code:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20091227
sudo nvidia-xconfig

It worked for me. I had jagging with HD and SD videos, and also sound that was running out of sync after some time. Running at 60hz solved those problems. This was possible only after tuning of the xorg.conf as the default setup from ubuntu was running at 50hz for an unknown reason. Eek
xecutionx Wrote:I get no audio via HDMI. I do notice however, that the optical port is illuminated. I'm using Karmic.
Mmmm ... In fact, you're right ! I have no sound from HDMI too, but I haven't noticed it yet as I'm using the optical output.
I'm an absolute noob in ALSA/Pulseaudio setup and I was just able to follow the instructions from the links I'm talking about at the top of this thread.

xecutionx Wrote:I'm new to Ubuntu and your guide isn't exactly noob friendly.
Welcome to the harsh world of Linux Laugh
DaCake Wrote:Try something like that to reinit your xorg.conf :
Code:
sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20091227
sudo nvidia-xconfig

It worked for me. I had jagging with HD and SD videos, and also sound that was running out of sync after some time. Running at 60hz solved those problems. This was possible only after tuning of the xorg.conf as the default setup from ubuntu was running at 50hz for an unknown reason. Eek

That worked for me but now I sometimes got squares in gui when I move around...
DaCake Wrote:Mmmm ... In fact, you're right ! I have no sound from HDMI too, but I haven't noticed it yet as I'm using the optical output.
I'm an absolute noob in ALSA/Pulseaudio setup and I was just able to follow the instructions from the links I'm talking about at the top of this thread.

Looks like that method doesn't work anymore since 9.11 Beta 1 : Optical output is OK, but HDMI outputs no sound : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=467418
DaCake Wrote:Mmmm ... In fact, you're right ! I have no sound from HDMI too, but I haven't noticed it yet as I'm using the optical output.
Here's the fix for audio in Ubuntu 9.10 via HDMI.

In a terminal type
alsamixer
Then navigate to the IE958 1 switch (using arrow keys), which, for some reason, is muted by default. Press M to unmute. Audio should work in Ubuntu now. I need to try it to see if XBMC's audio works.
xecutionx Wrote:Here's the fix for audio in Ubuntu 9.10 via HDMI.

In a terminal type
alsamixer
Then navigate to the IE958 1 switch (using arrow keys), which, for some reason, is muted by default. Press M to unmute. Audio should work in Ubuntu now. I need to try it to see if XBMC's audio works.

Right Smile
I was not aware that the second "IEC958" in alsamixer was standing for the HDMI output ! I was even thinking that it was somekind of bug :p

The Revo is hooked to an A/V receiver via SPDIF and my Sony LCD TV via HDMI. I've enabled passthrough, DD and DTS and disabled downmix. Please note that PCM sound is OK on the receiver and TV but for DD/DTS, I get noise on the TV and sound on the receiver. This is normal as the DD/DTS flux is passed directly via the passthrough to both interfaces, and my TV is not able to decode it.

I've modified the guide on first page accordingly. Thank you. Laugh
Pages: 1 2