Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xbmc wont start... Searched
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok i searched every where and nuthing.

I can install XBMC( from download page windows version). It installs but wont start." Says D3Dx9_42.dll Is missing from computer. A reinstall may fix this"

Tried that reinstall and nuthing.

This happens on two of my computers.
A old HTPC i can rem specs But win Xp MC is installed.

New HTCP Windows 7U

AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H
Antec Black M FusionRemote 350 Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel
The setup ought to run the DirectX web installer. d3dx9_42.dll is one of the DirectX dlls that the installer is supposed to install. Try downloading and installing http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...2d8712d553

JR
Are you online during the installation? As jhsrennie said the XBMC installer should install it for you.
I have the same problem. Win 7 64bit pro, tried running it as admin, online, turned firewall/virus stuff off, etc. Trying to do the direct-x redist by itself now.
I'm also on Win7 64bit and the installer worked fine for me. Wonder what prevents the installation for some envs.
I suspected Kaspersky might be blocking it, but I completely turned it off and tried again...anyway, running the sdk redist took care of it.
not online as i am still setting the HTCp up in other room. Will try jhsrennie suggested.

I am thought online on other htpc and it wont work either,
jhsrennie Wrote:The setup ought to run the DirectX web installer. d3dx9_42.dll is one of the DirectX dlls that the installer is supposed to install. Try downloading and installing http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...2d8712d553

JR

Jus did that and it work on my Win xp HTCP will try on my w7 one next,Thanks
fordbeatschvy Wrote:I suspected Kaspersky might be blocking it, but I completely turned it off and tried again...anyway, running the sdk redist took care of it.

Ur screen name how ironic.
if you don't want to download another 100MB directx file, you can try using existing directx file.
browse to your windows directory c:\windows\system32\ there is a lot d3d9_xx.dll files with different number depend on directx redistribution files you have. (mine latest one d3dx9_36.dll).
make a copy of this file (latest one) then rename to d3dx9_42.dll , now xbmc 9.11 should work (tested on win xp and win 7).
if you don't have this d3dx9_xx.dll files or don't have any problem with internet bandwidth then download directx redistribution file as jhsrennie posted.
I'm new to XBMC, and this isn't a promising start!

Having the same problem. Missing d3dx9_42.dll. Had internet connection during install, but did have Kaspersky running??

This is on Sony Vaio laptop, Win 7 64bit Home Premium, DX11.

So I downloaded manually the Microsoft DX Webinstaller, and ran it to install 9.0c. This installed successfully, and now I don't get the missing dll message.

However, when I try to start XBMC, I now get a Runtime Error stating that "This application has requested the Runtime to close it in an unusual way"...

What gives? I don't think this build was ready to go final. There are some dx issues going on that really need to be sorted out.

There shouldn't be any need to ever install an older version of DX on your system to run an application. DX is by nature supposed to be backwards compatible, and if a specific DX version is required or certain dll's are required, then that compatibility isn't being utilized properly.

So any ideas on the fix? Any ideas on why some users, not others, are having this problem? Seems more common on win 7, though I see that some even on XP are having similar issues.

Would love to take a tour of XBMC.
Wow you have really wisdom in your words. If all is so clear to you why don't you fix it?
We just link to directx9, whatever is needed is part of Windows so ask microsoft about d3dx9_42.dll.
The webinstaller is part of the XBMC installer and at least on my setup it installs the missing dll. Find out why it doesn't do it on your setup and let us know.
We use directx9 to be compatible to XP since it don't have 10 or 11. Why you still need directx9 if you have 11 installed? Ask Microsoft.
Why does it produce the runtime error? Maybe this helps: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65689
Earlier builds of the msvcHuh.dlls could be shipped with XBMC now with 90 M$ requires manifest files and doesn't support of shipping them. It's a real mess because it seems to behave differently on every setup. Why? Ask Microsoft because I don't know it.
Since you're such a superior brain please open a ticket and post solutions to the problems above. I would be happy to have those.
the end-user installer for direct x is actually the culmination of 9, 10, and 11. They however, still only called direct x 9 last time I downloaded it. If you look in the installer's release notes, the monthly updates do infact include new stuff specific to direct x 11.

also, if you are getting generic runtime errors, windows does log them and you can view those logs through the management screens. I find them to be the best source of information on the offending application, dll file, or what not.
WiSo, didn't mean for my post to have such a "know it all" tone. Reading back now it certainly did, especially for my first post. I'm ok with python and photoshop, so maybe one day I can contribute with scripting and skinning, but hardcore programming is something I don't have the time to delve into at the moment.

I had read lots of great things about XBMC and was eager to finally give it a shot, now that I have a laptop with enough storage space, Blu-ray, and processor speed to allow me to do so. In any case, I was surprised that the latest official build didn't install and run on my system which is, as far as I can tell, fairly devoid of extraneous software, applications, etc. and is updated with the latest drivers and patches for all hardware and software. I understand why you choose dx9 for the build, but I still don't understand why a dx11 install wouldn't contain all the necessary dll's to run the program. I agree that M$ makes things complicated... more so with each generation. Now I can't even network my XP and win7 machines without hours of googling and trouble shooting. Reminds me of the 90's.

I'll try to log my issues and see if I can help get to the bottom of this, since there seem to be several others having problems with 9.11 without any real answers offered so far. My manual websetup of dx did seem to replace the missing dll, but I need to figure out what is going on with the new runtime error. I was hoping it was obvious to others here with a quick fix (i.e., hoping it had happened on previous builds or for other users), but no such luck I guess.
osli Wrote:I'll try to log my issues and see if I can help get to the bottom of this, since there seem to be several others having problems with 9.11 without any real answers offered so far.

This would be the help we need. One thing would be why did it work for you when running the webinstaller manually and why not when it run from the installer.
The runtime issue is most certainly a strayed msvc?90.dll in the path. I can't tell why this is really an issue but it can grow to a bigger issue since I convert our libs and dlls from vs2003 to vs2008 which then require the 90.dll's
Pages: 1 2