Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problem with second external HDD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
first, my setup:
Asrock ION 330 (320GB internal SATA HDD)
XBMCLive HDD Install updated to 9.11 on a USB Thumb drive
2x Seagate Portable 500GB 2.5" USB HDD
Automount enabled

Problem:
My movies are on the internal HDD and on one Seagate external HDD. Running out of free space last week I bought another Seagate Portable HDD 500GB (same version like the other one). XBMC automount both external HDD drives, I can set content on the new HDD etc. But when I want to play a movie that is located on my first external HDD it says that the file is not available and if I want to erase the entry from the database. Playback from the second HDD works fine. When I detach the second HDD and restart XBMC, everything works fine again.
I tested it under Windows with XBMC (new XBMC install, adding movies from both HDDs attached at the same time etc) and everything worked also fine.

So does someone know what the error is and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Here is the debug log: http://pastebin.com/m71f2e8e5

I did the following to produce the log:
1. Startet XBMC to enable logging
2. Shutdown
3. Attach second external HDD (my first one is sdc1)
3. Start XBMC again
4. Go to Movies and select "American Gangster" (which is located on sdc1)
5. Got the message that the file doesnt exist

Submitted a ticket for this problem:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8283
Does noone have the same problem? I still can't use both HDDs at the same time. Please help me Sad
You could try manually mounting the drives as opposed to allowing Ubuntu to do it automatically. I'd bet that since the drives are the same type they have the same name and have been automounted in a different order so drive 1 now = drive 2

I'm thinking you'll need to mount them in fstab onto specific mount points and then reset your media sources in XBMC. You may be able to get away with disconnecting your old drive, connecting your new drive and renaming it through ubuntu then reconnecting your old drive but I wouldnt like to gurantee that would resolve it or that youd have issues.

I'll have a think and come back though...
What you need is to have them mounted at the same mount point every time you plug them in.

I think that will happen if you just add a volume label to each disk.

If not, you can always create a hal-policy to force a specific mount point.
First thanks for the answers.

I'm a total linux noob, so I don't know how to manually mount them etc. They allready have different volume labels (First ist USB1 with NTFS, the second EXTERN2 with NTFS)
Schalle Wrote:First thanks for the answers.

I'm a total linux noob, so I don't know how to manually mount them etc. They allready have different volume labels (First ist USB1 with NTFS, the second EXTERN2 with NTFS)

I got the same issue but with only one external HDD. If i boot to Ubuntu and select "computer", Ubuntu will than automaticly mount my external HDD. So than i logg of Ubuntu and start a new XBMC session under the same user account. After this i select my source directories in XBMC and everything works fine. But as soon as i restart my Asrock to XBMC it seems that it lost the mounts. Is there a way to let Ubuntu remember the external HDD mount?

Greetz,
Fjerpje
So I tried mounting the USB drives with fstab mount points (regarding following tutorial http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ight=mount) but with the same results allready mentioned.
Hi, did you have any luck resolving this? I've been having the same problem but it's intermittent which makes it hard to understand.