Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Live Camelot & ASRock ION 330 Install Report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I AM NOW PUTTING THIS ALL ON A BLOG AND WON'T UPDATE THIS POST FURTHER

Blog with more info here

Ok I have installed the re-packed Live on my
-ASRock ION 330 (Original version)
- SSD disk inside.
- Logitech Harmony 525 (with USB IR Receiver from Rock Vista MCE Remote)
- Output to a Panasonic 50" 1080p plasma (V10) - 1080p @ 24 Hz
- Output sound/video via HDMI (to Denon 2309 receiver, KEF speakers)

I suspect this config or close to it is reasonably common as I've seen several similar configs mentioned regularly...

So here's an install report of Camelot live & some fixes onto this hardware - it has not gone as smoothly as 9.0.4 so far...

Current issues:

****** [STILL OPEN ISSUES]

- Still a 2 second delay for audio when starting/coming off pause (had this with Babylon too)

- Confluence is really dark due to 0-255 vs 16-235 issues. While VDPAU can have correct 'studio' colour now, when switched on this still leaves SD material with crushed blacks/whites. So best to set brightness to 56 and contrast to 43 and save for all movies - this make both HD and SD material have decent detail. Not ideal as main interface is still too dark but workable

- None of the fancy new 'sync to display' modes appear to work - sound lags behind video considerably

***** [WORK AROUND] ******* Can't Browse To Shares

Can't browse to SMB share when adding source - not sure if this is a Windows 7 or long name issue - I can get to my laptop via browse, but not my server (HOMESERVER).

Workaround: when adding the source, use 'Add network location...' and manually enter the share name there. This works, and the share will now appear in the quick list so will be easy to select from then on.

***** [PARTIALLY FIXED] **** Logitech DiNovo Mini Works (but can't wake machine)

I just needed to press the button on the little USB receiver and the keyboard at the same time and it started to work. But because of the suspend/wakeup thing mentioned below, I disabled USB2 where the DiNovo is plugged in as it caused the machine to always instantly resume. This means I can't wake the machine using the DiNovo at all. I believe in Babylon this was not the case, but I got this for Christmas so never tried that myelf. Other than that, once the ASRock is awake, it works a treat as a keyboard and all the buttons works as expected. Occasionally seems to get stuck in a page up/down mode instead of one line up/down, but using back to go out of the directory and then back into it stops that happening, and it is only now and then, I am probably pressing some modifier inadvertently to trigger this.

***** [FIXED] Get 24p mode to be available

Add:

Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"

into 'Screen' section of etc/X11/xorg.conf and reboot. This is the same as Babylon actually.
Also added the HWCursor false thingy that was needed with Babylon, just in case.

****** [FIXED]

Resume from suspend works once the following is added to /etc/rc.local:

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo "rc.local has completed sucessfully." >> /tmp/resume.log
exit 0

(assuming your remote receiver is on USB 0 - see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device for details)

***** [FIXED] Argh no sound!

Had to do this - unmuted everything and set to 100 for all channels except MIC:
ALSA config
------------------------------------
1) sudo alsamixer
Unmute and set volume (MM means muted and OO On)
Hit "m" to toggle mute on/off.
Do not forget to unmute HDMI if you are going to use that

2) Store Settings
sudo alsactl store 0

****** [FIXED] No Navigation sounds with HDMI

Create a file in home directory:
nano .asoundrc

Add:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "hdmi"
}
}

Reboot.
Hi Bossanova808,

Thanks for sharing your installation on a ION 330, I myself also have a ION 330 HT-BD and have installed the beta's and now the final version of camelot.

I also have some open issues:
1) No sound on HDMI when playing a MP3 file (5.1 works perfectly and also the click sound) for example with the youtube script. Could you test this on your setup if you get any sound.

2) After resume I get no HDMI signal so my screen stays black.

See for my specs and more background information http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877&page=20

I'd like to help to make this topic a collection of ASRock tips and trics.
Hi Bossanova & Wingie,

It interesting to see your experiences so far. I got an ION 330 for XMAS and have been atempting to install Camelot. I followed the minimal Karmic install from the HOWTO and have had some sucess so far. The biggest problem so far has been that the video play back was dropping frames like mad. This I eventually fixed with a re-installed Xserver. Probably just an issue with xorg.conf. My next problem seems to be that I cannot play DVDs. Have either of you tried? Ubuntu is mounting the drive, and XBMC is certainly recognising the disc. The log is throwing IO errors which may be the issue, but I cannot find any reference to these errors anywhere else.

WARNING: dll_ioctl - 21394 request failed with error [5] Input/output error
ERROR: Error getting next block: Error reading NAV packet.

It would be usefull to know if you are having similar or no trouble at all.
Cheers
Wingie Wrote:Hi Bossanova808,

Thanks for sharing your installation on a ION 330, I myself also have a ION 330 HT-BD and have installed the beta's and now the final version of camelot.

I also have some open issues:
1) No sound on HDMI when playing a MP3 file (5.1 works perfectly and also the click sound) for example with the youtube script. Could you test this on your setup if you get any sound.

2) After resume I get no HDMI signal so my screen stays black.

See for my specs and more background information http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=59877&page=20

I'd like to help to make this topic a collection of ASRock tips and trics.

1) I can play an MP3 file with sound over HDMI without issues. Have you run alsamixer and unmuted everything? I have both sound outputs set to 'hdmi' which was natively identified, and no downmix, DTS capable etc set to yes. I did not upgrade Alsa but I did do an aptitude update/upgrade at some point. Not sure how to check my alsa version?

2) After resume my picture comes back ok, I have my Harmony programmed to turn off the TV when the ASRock goes to suspend, and back on when it resumes. It works fine.

Sorry I can't be more help!
prjxbmc Wrote:Hi Bossanova & Wingie,

It interesting to see your experiences so far. I got an ION 330 for XMAS and have been atempting to install Camelot. I followed the minimal Karmic install from the HOWTO and have had some sucess so far. The biggest problem so far has been that the video play back was dropping frames like mad. This I eventually fixed with a re-installed Xserver. Probably just an issue with xorg.conf. My next problem seems to be that I cannot play DVDs. Have either of you tried? Ubuntu is mounting the drive, and XBMC is certainly recognising the disc. The log is throwing IO errors which may be the issue, but I cannot find any reference to these errors anywhere else.

WARNING: dll_ioctl - 21394 request failed with error [5] Input/output error
ERROR: Error getting next block: Error reading NAV packet.

It would be usefull to know if you are having similar or no trouble at all.
Cheers

Have you considered the Live route instead? It seems a bit simpler. I have not played a DVD yet, my wife and child are using it now so I don't get much time to play with it!!
Hi

Using similar setups

Downstairs
ASROCK 330 (Original)
Onkyo AV Amp
Panasonic 50" 1080P Plasma

Upstairs
ASROCK 300 (New Version with Built in Wifi & IR Remote)
Toshiba 32" LCD

Just installed the latest Live CD

So far found everything OK, did not need to unmute Alsa, just set the audio settings to hdmi in both sections on the audio setup page and it worked

Would like to get the internal Wifi working and the Internal RF on the machine I am using upstairs, but apart from that this seems the most stable release so far!
bossanova808 Wrote:1) I can play an MP3 file with sound over HDMI without issues. Have you run alsamixer and unmuted everything? I have both sound outputs set to 'hdmi' which was natively identified, and no downmix, DTS capable etc set to yes. I did not upgrade Alsa but I did do an aptitude update/upgrade at some point. Not sure how to check my alsa version?

2) After resume my picture comes back ok, I have my Harmony programmed to turn off the TV when the ASRock goes to suspend, and back on when it resumes. It works fine.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Hi bossanova, thanks for trying in the mean time I've resolved two problems.
1) Did you try a single music MP3 file or did you use the youtube script?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45422 , could you try this version please (3.4)
It uses mp3 files with 22050khz, 2channel and s16 (don't know what this last one means)

I've tried to disable the downmix to stereo in XBMC settings but this did not help. Ran alsamixer and everything (except the spdiff) is unmuted from the beginning. (I just saw that after reboot spdiff is enabled again)

You can check your version with cat /proc/asound/version

2) It's fixed now at my side, after enabeling the 99lirc-resume.sh from another thread and telling my receiver to pass the HDMI signal through in stead of upscaling to 1080i if the signal is lower than 1080.

3) To prevent the scaling of my screen each time after a crash or for each resolution/hertz combination i've changed a setting in my panasonic.

Thanks Arnoud
I confirm the audio problem with pause/play over HDMI

There is also another problem, still over HDMI, when I switch audio track over mkv che movie is also fastforwarded 2x for about 1-2sec.

Can u try it?
nanny07 Wrote:I confirm the audio problem with pause/play over HDMI

There is also another problem, still over HDMI, when I switch audio track over mkv che movie is also fastforwarded 2x for about 1-2sec.

Can u try it?

Same issue here, although i don't often do this. But I do pasue/FF etc quite a bit do a solution to this would be very nice!
Wingie Wrote:Hi bossanova, thanks for trying in the mean time I've resolved two problems.
1) Did you try a single music MP3 file or did you use the youtube script?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=45422 , could you try this version please (3.4)
It uses mp3 files with 22050khz, 2channel and s16 (don't know what this last one means)

I've tried to disable the downmix to stereo in XBMC settings but this did not help. Ran alsamixer and everything (except the spdiff) is unmuted from the beginning. (I just saw that after reboot spdiff is enabled again)

You can check your version with cat /proc/asound/version

Thanks Arnoud

Version is 1.0.20 - I have only tried MP3 files directly, I don't have that plugin. I will try and give it a whirl later, as I mentioned access is limited by wife and daugher!
Bossanova,

Did you install any diNovo drivers or just plug it in and go?

I have the uber software installed but when I close that program the media keys don't work. I don't want to uninstall unless I have to. Any thoughts?
JonVisc Wrote:Bossanova,

Did you install any diNovo drivers or just plug it in and go?

I have the uber software installed but when I close that program the media keys don't work. I don't want to uninstall unless I have to. Any thoughts?

With Camelot LIVE it works out of the box, just had to push the button on both ends ro get the devices to pair and away it went.
Quote:***** [FIXED]

Resume from suspend works once the following is added to /etc/rc.local:

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
echo "rc.local has completed sucessfully." >> /tmp/resume.log
exit 0

(assuming your remote receiver is on USB 0 - see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Enable_Wake-On-Device for details)

How did you managed to fix that problem. On my maschine it works until reboot only.
After rebooting my Ion Asrock the resume from suspend doesn´t work.
I followed the guide and my ION doesn´t save the setting "enable USB0".
How is to fix that.
Have you put it in rc.local? That should mean it gets set with every boot. It might be because of a different USB receiver?

Do you have the original or the HT version? I think the drivers with the HT version are still a bit ropey, there is a long thread about it in this section.
slyk2203 Wrote:How did you managed to fix that problem. On my maschine it works until reboot only.
After rebooting my Ion Asrock the resume from suspend doesn´t work.
I followed the guide and my ION doesn´t save the setting "enable USB0".
How is to fix that.

Well first you need to goto your tty2 window - ctl-alt-f2 then you need to issue a sudo su command to take you to root. then make all the changes like enabling usb0 or usb2 (make sure your dongle is on usb0 if not you will need to change the USB0 to USB2 in your rc.local) edit your rc.local file at root as well. Make sure you only have one exit0 in your rc.local file. It should already have an exit0 in the file when you first edit it.

I know that in the thread that hosts this fix he mentions later in the tut to do things at root level. but issuing with the sudo su command first will save the hassle, ALSO DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER CHANGES WHILE YOU ARE AT ROOT LEVEL.

save your changes and reboot.

Regards,

Dave
Pages: 1 2