Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Screen flickers, when playing a HD movie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I am playing a movie, it seems that some codec or something flickers the image. Sometimes I see, when they get somehow out of sync and I see the lines, where they are.

This happens with XBMC and also with MPlayer. What could cause this?

CPU: Intel C2D E6400
GPU: GeForce 9400 GT
2GT RAM, 800mhz

These shouldn't be the bottleneck, when playing 1080p mkv files?

I'm using Karmic 9.10 and latest NVIDIA drivers.

I managed to record this thru digital camera (When stopping image, it is crystal clear, so it doesn't show on screenshots). Here is the video:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2946o2q&s=6
You need to enable vsynch. Look in the video playback options. The option says something about synchronizing frames with the display.
Bump for this thread. I have the same problem, however it occurs with any video, DVD, 720p, 1080p, usually when the scene calls for camera panning or fast motion. It appears as a line flickering in the screen. I'd love to use XBMC, but this line is incredibly annoying and is the only thing preventing me from using XBMC as my primary media center. Is there a setting or adjustment that can be made to correct this. Vsynch is enabled.

My specs:
C2D E6420
7900 GS
6 GB DDR
Then I would guess the frames are taking longer to render than the refresh rate of the screen. Probably because the video acceleration isn't working correctly or CPU or GPU scaling (reducing frequency for power saving) is causing a bottleneck.

I get the same thing if I try to play a Blu-Ray rip on my machine (Atom CPU, nVidia ION graphics).
YEEEHAAWW! It works! This error is called "Video Tearing" and this is how I fixed it:

Edit /etc/rc.local file:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Add this before part: "exit 0":

Code:
chmod 666 /dev/nvidia* &
Then edit xorg.conf

Code:
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Add these lines there. DRI is for Direct Rendering:

Code:
Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "i2c"
Load "bitmap"
Load "ddc"
Load "extmod"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "vbe"
Load "dbe"
EndSection

Then open NVIDIA settings: System -> Administration -> NVIDIA X Server Settings:

X Server XVideo Settings -> Check box for Sync to VBlank
OpenGL Settings -> Check box for Sync to VBlank

Then Quit NVIDIA Settings and reboot Linux. If you still see Tearing try this:

System -> Preferences -> Appearance
Open Tab: Visual Effects
And check: None

This fixed Video Tearing problems for me!
Okay, i'm not on linux, i'm running XP SP3. Video tearing appears to be the problem. The only player I have that does not exhibit video tearing is KMPlayer. Might anyone be able to explain? I have the latest nVidia drivers installed.
Maybe you should try to set low graphics theme on XP, the 2000 style?

And check if there is some NVIDIA settings to set: Sync to VBlank ON
worked a treat for me! many thanks those flickering lines were stressing me out
GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It worked for mer to, YESSSSS!

I have been modifying my xorg.conf for 2 weeks now, and NOTHING have made the MKV's work fine.

This made it for me. THANKS!! Valexi!

(Zotac Ion Miniitx A, Ubuntu 9.10, XBMC 9.11 Camelot, SONY KDL 40D3500)
I am on android an I am on the latest version an when I play any ting I can't see good its fuzzy an showing doubble screen but I could hear what's goin on plzz help