Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Just starting with XBMC, would like guidance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well after reading and looking around, I've decided to use XBMC for a HTPC I am building for my godfather.

As he is not the most tech savvy guy out there, I thought that if I just use XBMC Live, it would mean a smoother transition, and less a hassle for him.

Al that I want out of it, is a way to play movies (located on a hard drive), and view them on his 50 inch. It needs to be through HDMI, and I don't need a DVD player or Blu-Ray player on it. Also doesn't need any connectivity with other computers/internet. Though, if I would be missing something big by not being connected to internet, let me know.

So, my question is, is there any thing that someone could suggest for me?

I've tried looking up for similar questions, but couldn't find any that fit my parameters.

I happen to have an old gigabyte mobo, P4 at 2.8, Radeon X850PE, and 2 gigs of ddr2 ram.
I know, not the fastest stuff out there, and I heard Radeon isn't the best come to XBMC, so I think I will probably build one from new parts.

Also wondering, if someone could tell me what kind of requirements would be needed for my intended uses. By only viewing movies, can I skate by somehow where other builds cant?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text.

And happy new year.
Any PC you build yourself is likely to be large and noisy unless you're willing to throw money at it. I would buy an Acer Revo 3600 or something similar as it's small, virtually silent and with XBMC Live will play anything up to and including 1080p. In the UK it's around £175. The only extra you might need is an external DVD drive if your godfather wants to watch his DVDs through XBMC, as the Revo doesn't include a DVD drive.

JR
...or the ASROCK ION330 HT is a good alternative to the REVO. Similar spec with Wi-fi, integrated remote, dvd drive.

Or the cheaper normal ION330 minus wi-fi and remote.

http://www.asrock.com/nettop/index.asp

An internet connection is useful for weather reports and scraping move info.
What about he acer revo AR1600. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...8831032280
Would that one be fine? as the cheaper I can get it, the better. Or is a dual proc really necessary.

Also, cheapest price I can find for the R3600 is $380, is there a cheaper price for it I'm missing?.