Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Even more questions on crystal HD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry about more questions but I am a n00b at any kind of hardware hacking.

I have read the main thread but all its done is throw up questions.

1. Does the apple remote work with this hack?
2. Does the patch stick completely copy over the ATV software, i.e. does the apple software go away (would suit me)
3. Could I at the same time replace my harddrive in there, I have a spare 80gig knocking about
4. Do you simply put the patch stick in and start the ATV for it too load?
5. I am using component leads on an LCD which is is not widescreen. I am not so much after bigger just better. At the minute my 720 movies and above play like crap on the ATV, is this card going to improve that situation?
6. I like to be there at the beginning type of thing but would I be better off waiting for an official guide?
7. Could XBMC set up a seperate room for crystalHD so as not to piss off other mac users?
1. Does the apple remote work with this hack?

It's only a card that decodes HD video. So, yes.

2. Does the patch stick completely copy over the ATV software, i.e. does the apple software go away (would suit me)

The patchstick only makes you get more out of the Apple TV OS. If you start XBMC you'll never notice that the ATV OS is running in the background, except on reboots or if XBMC crashes.

If you would like to get rid of the ATV OS I suggest you install Linux on the ATV. You can run Linux from a thumbdrive, that way you can just pull the thumbdrive and the ATV will boot into the standard ATV OS if you change your mind.

3. Could I at the same time replace my harddrive in there, I have a spare 80gig knocking about

Yes, but you'll have to do some research and preparations before switching the drives. The new drive has to be partitioned and some things has to be copied from the old drive. I've never done it, so I'll leave it vague Smile

4. Do you simply put the patch stick in and start the ATV for it too load?

Yes. Sometimes you'll have to hold the "menu" and "–" buttons during boot.

5. I am using component leads on an LCD which is is not widescreen. I am not so much after bigger just better. At the minute my 720 movies and above play like crap on the ATV, is this card going to improve that situation?

Improve playback of 720p and 1080p? Yes, that's what this card does. As long as it's the right video codec.

6. I like to be there at the beginning type of thing but would I be better off waiting for an official guide?

Dunno. I don't know if there'll be any official guides on putting the card in an ATV. The unofficial guides that exist work quite well. Just remember not to cut the antenna wires, just wrap them with electrical tape.

You could hold off until the drivers and a stable release of XBMC with Crystal HD support is released, but then again, you could pop the card in and sit back and wait...

7. Could XBMC set up a seperate room for crystalHD so as not to piss off other mac users?

Not my department Smile

But, as the Crystal HD branch is being merged with the standard XBMC branch, I don't think it will be a problem to have all Mac/ATV support in the same forum. It's a little bit messy right now, but when it's all released I think it will be fine.