Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New "retarded" xbmc user
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm sure I will get flamed for this.
( but at this point its worth the burn if i can get an understanding )

Ok - 1st. I'm totally new to xbmc.

I just read 2 days worth of forums. ‘sigh’

I have a new Acer Aspire Revo AR1600-U910H
Still running XP. I loaded xbmc-9.11
That’s it.

I have been all over the wiki. But I sounds like that is written for the xbox.
I searched for a basic: “setup guide” or “how to” maybe “step by step”.
The ones I have read seem very convoluted. Is that the norm for this software?
I’m no computer wizard, but this has me feeling like a complete retard.

I am a long time Medigate35 user for viewing movies. All my media is on a couple of usb hard drives connected to my main computer(running XP home). I have all the folders set up to share on my network.

So in xbmc how do I map to my media folders thru the network.

Thanks,
jeepgif
[flame suit on]
Here is the online manual.

Installing XBMC is as easy as double-clicking the setup.exe file. To map XBMC to your network shares just browse to 'My Music', 'My Pictures', or 'My Videos' and click the option 'Add Source'. From there you just browse to your network share. Its really, really simple to setup and use.
AssChin79 Wrote:Here is the online manual.

Installing XBMC is as easy as double-clicking the setup.exe file. To map XBMC to your network shares just browse to 'My Music', 'My Pictures', or 'My Videos' and click the option 'Add Source'. From there you just browse to your network share. Its really, really simple to setup and use.

thanks,

but i dont see: 'My Music', 'My Pictures', or 'My Videos'

here is what i have:

From the manual:

If you select "Add sources" a dialog appears, where you may manually input a path, or browse to a source that contains media that you would like XBMC to use and display. As an example, if you enter the Music section, you could tell XBMC where it should look for your music. This can be as simple as selecting a folder on your computer or you can also choose to browse your home network for media. These two options would be the most widely used places for sources.

I dont see how to browse to any of my network stuff?:confused2:

How do I get xbmc to see my network?

gif
Go to the "last picture", scroll down and select Windows Network (SMB).
jeepgif Wrote:thanks,

but i dont see: 'My Music', 'My Pictures', or 'My Videos'

here is what i have:

I dont see how to browse to any of my network stuff?:confused2:

How do I get xbmc to see my network?

Scroll down a bit on a third screen and network should be visible. Note a scrollbar at right, it comes useful as orientation.

Can you see it?
@jeepgif: Hello! If you haven't already figured it all out, you are welcome to be a guinea pig for the quick start guide being written.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Quick_Start_Guide

Feel free to note anything confusing. And, seriously, be as dumb about it as possible. The fact that you made it as far as you did means you are quite a bit smarter than a depressingly large number of people, and the goal of this guide is to help even the weakest minded individuals.
Eek stupid scroll on the mouse are you FKM! ? lol

Thanks guys !! I NEVER would have tried to use the scroll !

The scrollbar is cut off on my 50" plasma.

Time to change the settings!

I will however try the "Quick Start Guide" and report back.

You guys would laugh your asses off if you knew what I do for work.Big Grin

gif
QA for Microsoft?
Thats a pretty solid "Quick Start Guide", throw in a couple Confluence pics for reference and it'll be perfect
What would be good for noobs is an addition to the installer that lets you add your content there and then.
Hitcher Wrote:What would be good for noobs is an addition to the installer that lets you add your content there and then.

Excellent idea.
I disagree. All current options in the installer should be removed as well.

This stuff should happen on first run, not in the installer.

i.e. click on videos (with no video sources configured) -> prompt the user to add stuff.
jmarshall Wrote:I disagree. All current options in the installer should be removed as well.

This stuff should happen on first run, not in the installer.

i.e. click on videos (with no video sources configured) -> prompt the user to add stuff.

I agree. More along the Windows MCE model, less on the MediaPortal model. Much as we all might hate microsoft, their media center is fairly user friendly. It's essentially useless for anything worthwhile, but it IS user friendly.
natethomas Wrote:I agree. More along the Windows MCE model, less on the MediaPortal model. Much as we all might hate microsoft, their media center is fairly user friendly. It's essentially useless for anything worthwhile, but it IS user friendly.

They really need to have their application userfriendly with the amount of "Retarted" user using their application on a daily basis Laugh
To figure out how to get my content all mapped and working.

One thing I REALLY wish worked better was the SVN downloader and compatibility.

The scripts shouldn't say they work with my version of XBMC when they don't. 2/3rds of them throw errors, etc.

I don't know Python (or are they PHP?) - but it'd be nice if there were some type of rating system or "x users report this doesn't work".

Overall, though, I LOVE XBMC. I just built myself a dedicated machine for it, so I plan on digging in more and more!

Eek
Pages: 1 2