Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 720p playback issues on Apple TV?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running XBMC v9.11 on my Apple TV
It will not play any 720p correctly, the audio is always off sync and the video frame rate is terrible.
First I was streaming wirelessly, then wired and finally I copied my video to the Apple TV... nothing works. It only plays 480i properly.

Why do you state on your wiki that it supports 720p playback on Apple TV?
Is there any way to fix this? I have no reason to own an Apple TV if it can't do what it's designed to do..

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions,
Also, my Launcher version is 3.2.1 and my Apple TV is running firmware 2.2.
Nothing?
Ubel Wrote:I am running XBMC v9.11 on my Apple TV
It will not play any 720p correctly, the audio is always off sync and the video frame rate is terrible.
What video type are you trying to play? codec/bitrate etc?
720p on the @TV is tricky... there's a whole lot of factors that go into whether or not it will playback smoothly..

What bit rate are you using? Low Profile/High Profile?
What container? mkv, m4v?
Are you using Handbrake to encode? if so, is CABAC Entropy Coding set?

Depending on your settings, it can lead to a very frustrating experience with the playing back of 720p content. I am personally eagerly awaiting the release of the CrystalHD drivers to allow my @TV to playback 1080p-- search the forums if you're interested.
I'm assuming High Profile since the bitrate is 6000kbps, I've only tried mkv files.
I haven't used handbrake as I was hoping to not transcode my torrented videos.

I didn't want to invest in CrystalHD as I have no use for 1080p.
I may as well sell my ATV then?

Thank you
Ubel Wrote:I'm assuming High Profile since the bitrate is 6000kbps, I've only tried mkv files.
I haven't used handbrake as I was hoping to not transcode my torrented videos.

I didn't want to invest in CrystalHD as I have no use for 1080p.
I may as well sell my ATV then?

Thank you,
Joseph

eh? so get a CrystalHD and play 720p using it.
I was hoping not to have to invest another $70 just to play something that's supposedly already supported. Owell.
Ubel Wrote:I was hoping not to have to invest another $70 just to play something that's supposedly already supported. Owell.

from my experience only divx/xvid play in 720p on the appletv. Buy a crystalhd it costs about 30 bucks. And then enjoy your mkvs.
Jaken Wrote:from my experience only divx/xvid play in 720p on the appletv. Buy a crystalhd it costs about 30 bucks. And then enjoy your mkvs.

30 bucks from where? Logic sells it for $69.
Ubel Wrote:30 bucks from where? Logic sells it for $69.

ebay "BCM70012"
I bought mine from this guy for about $20:
http://www.auctiva.com/stores/viewstore2...h=broadcom

here's the card, plus you get free shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0385241329

best,
randy