Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Bad XBMC Experience. Need Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I've been running XBMC on the Xbox for several months now without problems. H264 playback was choppy due to lack of RAM/old hardware, etc. I picked up an ACER Revo Single Core Atom box to replace it.

I have followed the instructions to make a minimal install of Karmic and then install XBMC and all video/sound & power saving tweaks needed. I have wasted over 8 hours doing this install twice and am still having issues with Networking.

I am unable to browse Windows SMB shares. (Error 2), the webserver does not work when booting up. SOMETIMES if I enable and disable it it will work until a reboot. On a reboot of the Revo, it decides it can't communicate with the network doesn't get an IP. I have to CTRL + F2 and do an ifdown eth0 and then an ifup eth0 to get networking back. XBMC Streamer for my iPhone has never connected since switching to Linux platform.

After all of this I decided to test XBMC Live on the Revo. Made a bootable USB key with unetbootin on a WinXP VM (i'm on a mac) and booted up. I'm still having problems with the Webserver, but maybe that is because it is running Live from USB drive? However, now I am able to browse Windows SMB share without issue.

Sooo. I go to install Live (I'm using the 9.11 Repack) to the HDD. Now I can't install it because the damn installer keeps looking for a CD-ROM drive. Search through the threads some more and discover to press tab key and add Try USB =true, but when I try that, that line in already in the syslinux.cfg file.

How can I install Live from a USB key? I don't have an external CDROM drive and I'm not going to buy one. This install has been a total nightmare for me.

The VDPAU is working great, but I refuse to deal with broken networking components. Thanks for any help anyone can give in helping me get LIVE to install on the Revo. Thanks in advance.

-hogfan
Did a minimal install of jaunty at the time from an alternate cd and ran in to the same problems. I got frustrated after manually making the mountpoint for /smb and doing the group additions and it still didnt work. Even tried fuse to do the same but couldnt get it to take. My suggestion is do a full install and script XBMC to autostart in preferences and startup items. This gives you ability to autoscript the mounting of those samba shares and if your using wicd you can easily reattach to the network after coming out of suspend. Sure its more overhead but the ion can handle it.

As for installing from usb try out unetbootin. Its in the ubuntu repos. Not sure if thats going to cure the issue your having though. Sounds like the script calls for a cd rom. Possibly the script allows modifiers that would allow one to point to a different drive? Like the usb.

Wicd offers a curses mode too. If you want to stay minimal this may help the connectivity issue your having. I run a dlna compliant NAS box and use the upnp server in my add source area within XBMC. Soo much easier than samba.
Thanks for the reply.

I just discovered that after enabling and disabling the HTTP server, I am able to use the webskin to browse My Videos, but now music. When I try to access music and then go back to TV, XBMC has the "Error 2: Unable to connect to share message", but If I browse videos I can go to Movies via the webskin, press play on a movie, and when I go back to the TV, the movie is playing.

So it's like it is only partially not working! any ideas on this one? I thought about wasting another 2 hours to do the minimal install but with Jaunty instead of Karmic, but I'm not sure if it will resolve the issues. Suggestions?

Apparently I can't install LIVE since since the installer wants a CDROM drive and I'm not buying one.
I opened a Trac ticket for Karmic and issues with the Webserver. I ended up completely re-installing with a minimal install of Jaunty and then ran this script:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=374815&postcount=1

These were the exact same steps I took with Karmic, but this time, the webserver is fully functional, SMB is working, AND XBMC Streamer for my iPhone is connected to the XBMC.

I would recommend staying off of Karmic for now for new users. Installing LIVE is the best option, but I was never able to get it working on my Revo....kept asking for CDROM driver during install.
I used Unetbootin to image the Live iso onto a 1 GB flash drive, and it installed just fine on the same single-core Acer Revo.