Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Small Problem with Network Share
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Windows 7 on the HTPC running XBMC 9.11 with Aeon Showmix 2.5 skin

This PC is connected via PowerLine to the router which is connected via Ethernet cable to a PC running Windows XP and a few terabyte of space storing the music/movie files

On the HTPC I mapped a drive to the XP computer. The mapped drive is recognized by XBMC and this works ok. XBMC turns on with a batch file which sends a magic packet to the XP computer

Problem

1. Win 7 does not automatically connect to the mapped drive on booting (even if the XP comp is already turned on). I need to click on my computer and then click on the map drive. Following that it becomes accessible. This is tedious as I need to take my keyboard out

2. Sometimes when Win 7 is turned on for a while (eg. playing games, surfing) , the XP computer is in suspend. Turning on XBMC via the batch file send a magic packet to the XP system and in theory I hope that I can access the map folder following that but again I need to click on my computer and then click on the map drive to "activate" it before XBMC can detect the drive

This is a minor annoyance but would be nice if I can have a solution. Does anyone have a better idea or a different setup plan

Thanks
try opening the source smb share directly with XBMC. video->add source->browse Windows Network -> add share or type in the url in the form smb://servername/share
xytreme99 Wrote:Problem

1. Win 7 does not automatically connect to the mapped drive on booting (even if the XP comp is already turned on). I need to click on my computer and then click on the map drive. Following that it becomes accessible. This is tedious as I need to take my keyboard out

This is a minor annoyance but would be nice if I can have a solution. Does anyone have a better idea or a different setup plan

Yea, I had the same problem in W7 where even though my shares were mapped, they simply would not work until I physically clicked each one of them manually.

I disconnected the shares and now I map them automatically with a VBScript that runs on startup. The script is included with my Windows 7 XBMC starter guide in this thread.