Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Incorrect aspect ratio when playing back video...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having sort of a strange issue. I have one specific video file that isn't playing back at the correct aspect ratio.

The file is an MKV file and I used Ember MediaManager to create an NFO file for it. I noticed in the NFO file that Ember actually wrote the wrong aspect ratio in the streamdetails section...which of course made me look at the file (since I figured it must have had the wrong aspect ratio internally). I tried opening the file using MPC-HC, which is configured to use FFDShow (if any of this matters), and the file also appeared to have the wrong aspect ratio. It appears that the file was encoded incorrectly so I changed the video size using MKV Merge. Opened the file in MPC-HC and everything looked great. I then deleted the NFO file from Ember and regenerated it and Ember also picked up the correct aspect ratio. Now here is the strange part, when I go into XBMC and actually play the file, the aspect ratio is still jacked up. This has made me wonder if XBMC has cached data about the old aspect ratio somewhere (maybe this wouldn't matter -- I'm not sure of how all the internals work for video playback in XBMC). I opened the actual MyVideos database and wiped out streamdetails and reimported the file. It now shows the correct aspect ratio in streamdetails but the file displays incorrectly.

Is there any other cache for file details that I should clear out?

Thanks.
The aspect ratio in the container likely differs from the aspect ratio in the codec.

Ember and MKV merge will be reading (and setting) one. XBMC will be using the other. There is no right and wrong here, other than XBMC should at least be consistent when it grabs the info for streamdetails and playback.

I've added a ticket for this:

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8422

If you could supply a sample (or detail how you can use MKV Merge to create a sample) in the ticket that would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Jonathan